Adifferent type of negots agenda

I picked this article from another web site, while some of it is unrealistic, others are,either way very interesting reading!

I too don't feel that is right to reject the Company’s

proposals out of hand. After all, these are

intelligent people who have put a lot of time and

effort into their proposal. I believe that the

following response would be fair and equitable.

The bottom line of the Company’s agenda is that

salaried employees of the Company are being asked to

give up already negotiated and agreed upon benefits as

well as additional benefits to the tune of $208

million annually and having done so, they will only be

entitled to any future profits on a profit-sharing

basis instead of real cash as might be required in a

grocery store to buy bread. It is therefore fitting

that a way be found for the remaining employees such

as the Board of Governors and Management to give up

the same amount of cash, namely $208 million annually,

just as personally as salaried employees. To this end,

I would suggest that unions propose a “Revised Agenda

Items.”

In the same spirit as the Company’s proposals, that is

in the spirit of cost-cutting, the following agenda

items should be considered during negotiations. They

are:

General Statement of Intent

We will accept every item of the Company’s proposals

as they appear in the “Revised Agenda Items” without

any amendments, revisions or further discussion,

provided that the Company accept the following:

Specific Items

1. The entire Board of Governors tenders their

immediate resignation without benefit of “exit

packages” that may have been negotiated at time of

hire. All shares that members of the Board may have

received as bonuses or other considerations will be

surrendered at present market value.

2. Should ensuing restructuring result in the

dismissal of any Management above the position of Team

Leader, all such personnel will receive no “exit

packages” or benefits. All Management contracts are

adjusted to reflect this change effective immediately

and these changes will not be contested.

3. Henceforth, all members of all future Boards of

Governors as well as Management will receive no “exit

packages” in the form of either money or shares in the

Company, as a condition of hire. Any salary or

combination of salary and benefits over $150,000 a

year is unconscionable, therefore no member of the

Board will receive a remuneration package greater than

this amount and no Management employee will receive a

salary greater than $90,000 a year. All future

Management contracts will reflect these changes.

4. Management will henceforth be paid only for actual

time worked based ona 40-hour week, similar to

non-Management employees i.e. mandatory overtime bank

of minus 60 to plus 200 hours, no cash payout of

overtime, no double time, same vacation arrangements,

same 30% fixed time/70% on an as, when and where

required shift “pool” basis etc. Management will not

receive any bonuses and/or incentives either in the

form of money or other benefits – only time spent

working will be paid. All Management contracts are

adjusted to reflect this change effective immediately

and these changes will not be contested.

5. The first order of business of a new Board of

Governors will be to amend the Articles of

Incorporation of the Company in such a way that

henceforth, all new Boards of Governors will consist

of equal representation, with equal voting power from

both Management and non-Management personnel and this

provision will be irrevocable by all future Boards.

6. The second order of business of a new Board of

Governors will be to amend the Articles of

Incorporation to include a clause that prevents the

Board or the Company from acquiring any further loans, guarantees or public funds to finance any part of the Company’s operations and this article will also be irrevocable by all future Boards. 7. The third order of business of a new Board of Governors will be to devise a ten year (or shorter) financial plan to pay off the Company’s existing debt in full. 8. All future Management staff agrees to work by the same rules and measurable performance standards as hourly employees. Along with this, the new Board will devise a measurement standard for its own as well Management staff performance (i.e. based on the Federal Express or similar model by which Management is subject to an annual review from a panel consisting of equal numbers of peers and hourly salaried employees) 9. In addition to No. 8 above, all Management staff failing to respond within 48 hours (not working hours, but actual 48 clock hours) to communication of an emergency, serious operational or safety concern from anyone in the Company will receive a letter of reprimand. Three such letters of reprimand within any twelve month period will be cause for immediate dismissal without severance or any other consideration. 10. All expense accounts are revoked and Management will pay for their own uniforms (if required) and cleaning of same. 11. All Management will give up one week of their holidays. 12. All Management employees are required to spend one week a year working in a position of their choosing that would be classified as “manual labour” i.e. Runner in Parts Department, Baggage Handler, Ticket Agent, Aircraft Mechanic etc. This will be done in order to assist them to remain in touch with the day-to-day operational requirements and personal stresses and frustrations of such jobs and to gain first hand experience, in order to make informed, realistic and appropriate decisions as Managers. 13. The Marketing Department and all associated positions and activities are immediately eliminated with employees reassigned to other departments. 14. The Company logo, livery and markings of all aircraft as well as other equipment are frozen for the next ten years i.e. no more paint jobs and logo changes. 15. The airline portion of the Company reorganizes its business so as to become one Company with one recognizable name and one line of business i.e. no more Jazz, Tango, Zip, et al. 16. The new Board of Governors will make it their priority to purchase, instead of lease its aircraft in the future i.e. we don not operate what we can't afford to buy. 17. The new Board will start a new line of business, namely that of purchasing and leasing aircraft to other companies. 18. The Company re-instates its practice of paying Travel Agents for all tickets sold by them and will pay industry standard or better royalties to travel agencies so that they will be inclined to sell the Company to the traveling public. 19. All present Company Operations Manuals are withdrawn within a year and new Manuals are written and approved. These new Manuals will be written with complete consultation from those who will be subject to the provisions of these Manuals. The new Manuals will not seek to gain relief from any provisions of Air Regulations but will be written with a view to regaining the faith, confidence and trust of the traveling public by doing much more than the absolute minimum in terms of safety required regulatory authorities. 20. A sincere public apology in the form of full page ads is published in all major newspapers. This apology will recognize and seek to make amends for the treatment of its passengers in the past, it's misuse of public funds in the past, justified or not, excusable or not, real or merely perceived and said apology will be signed by the Management of the Company. This apology will make a promise to the traveling public that henceforth, the Company will be answerable for its mistakes by putting people in place to deal with and correct complaints to the complete satisfaction of the customer. This will also be done in the sprit of restoring some Company pride to the employees. 21. In its future dealings with the public, the Company will henceforth “take the high road” and award all disputes to the customer. 22. All “Local Agreements” and Contract Amendments are cancelled. If new extraordinary agreements are required, they will be made in full concert with those who will be subject to such agreements. All such agreements will be in written form, readily available for reading by anyone and be subject to annual review. 23. All future grievances (if a grievance process still remains after these proceedings are over) will be dealt with in a timely fashion. Namely. if a matter is not dealt with fully and completely in six months, it will be automatically awarded in favour of the party that raised the grievance. 24. The Company agrees to wind down all of its existing computer systems and computer operations within one year. The Company further agrees to hire a team of in-house computer and software experts who work for the Company, not an outside agency, to write a new, completely integrated computer software package in full active consultation with those who will use the system or any aspect of it. These end-user consultants will have full power of veto over any aspect of the operation, screen presentation and features of the new system. The operations, scheduling, inventory, parts allocation, purchasing and aircraft maintenance control and record-keeping part of the new computer system will not be based on the Windows Operating System or environment but on other established, stable platforms. The use of a Windows environment and the use of Microsoft software will only be implemented where they are absolutely necessary (Office applications only). The new system will be written with a view toward marketing it for use by others.

The above, I believe, are equally important to the

continued viability of the Company as the changes that

the Company seeks to make with its Revised Agenda. I

also believe that the acceptance and implementation of

the above items is equal to that of acceptance and implementation of the Company's Revised Agenda.

Regards

NAME WITHHELD

PS - In lieu of the above, the Company could sit down and decide on a level of operations that they are sure they can manage, using equipment that they are certain they can handle. I would suggest an operation fashioned in the late 1950's - flight attendants with beehives on Viscounts and Vanguards - would be

appropriate in light of the existing management capabilities of the Company. I say, "Go with your strengths," and since they seem to be rooted in the 50's, stick with what you know. Otherwise please do us all a favour and move aside for someone else.

Guest kevenv

Now that is one heck of a counter proposal. No chance of it being accepted, but interesting reading non the less.

Very interesting Robert, I liked this one myself
"All Management employees are required to spend one week a year working in a position of their choosing that would be classified as “manual labour” i.e. Runner in Parts Department, Baggage Handler, Ticket Agent, Aircraft Mechanic etc. This will be done in order to assist them to remain in touch with the day-to-day operational requirements and personal stresses and frustrations of such jobs and to gain first hand experience, in order to make informed, realistic and appropriate decisions as Managers".

I think whatever negots that do come down the line should have some form of this in it .

Frosty

I think that we should take this one even further. There are not many groups in this airline that have to deal with upset passengers. Those would be flight attendants and customer service agents, the real front line employees. I actually miss the days of seeing the customers face to face and it has given me a set of values that allows me to make decisions with them in mind.

I think that every employee should have to work a customer contact area. This would include maintenance, pilots, management… everyone. All the management people that are hired right out of business school should spend the first six months of their career at an airport to get a full appreciation of what the customer goes through. I work with people that have been here for about a year and haven’t set foot in a airport since joining the company

You know something Stickle, I like that idea an dwould be willing to do so, it would be an educational experience to see what the others have to put up with.
FYI,on many occasions when I am called to a flight with a mechanical problem I am questioned by passengers about what is wrong, instaed of just giving them the genaric don't worry it is ok, if time is permitted I explain what is wrong and what the fix is or if under mel explain how the aircraft can operate with a fualt on that system.You would be amazed at how intent these passengers are listening to what you say, and are thankful for this type of information.

Archived