I went to a CAMA membership meeting.....

Guest Gadgeteer

Guest Gadgeteer

I signed up! This is our window of oportunity to rid ourselves of the IAM&AW. I left the meeting with a smile and a twinkle in my eye. I feel there is hope for us all at last.

Guest tsmech

Gadgeteer

I'm confused, you guys have by far the best contract in Canada with the best pay and the best benefits going for airlines. If the union is that bad, why don't you elect representitives that will get your point across and do something about it? Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way trying to criticize, I'm only trying to understand what's going on.. If it's too long for this forum just email me..

Ummmm.... excuse my coming out of the darkness with this, but I can't help wondering.... What on earth ever gave you the notion we had the best contract??? Our contract rots! In fact, I doubt you could even determine what exactly within our contract still applies as it was written! Local agreements and LOU's galore have rendered the actual contract a worthless pile of paper that's almost completely useless to refer to. CAMA's constitution (adopted, with permission from the AMFA) would not allow such things to happen without a vote of all those affected.

The only thing worth calling half decent in our contract is the money, and even that's only when you compare it to others in our field in Canada.

BTW.... CAMA isn't just for AC... All AME's are underpaid and poorly treated. Years of membership in industrial unions and a lack of cooperative effort have done that to us. It's high time we all stood together. 10,000 of us all pulling in different directions will get us nowhere, but even 100 pulling all together will begin to make things move forward.

The idea that a man who drops by to fix your dishwasher gets paid more than those of us who maintain aircraft is not something that makes any sense to me! Not only does he get paid more, but he probably never misses a Christmas at home, doesn't work midnights, doesn't have any of the responsibility, etc.

Where is it written that giving up as much of our lives as we do to work in this profession will have such paltry rewards? Oh yes, it's in our contract.... We'll have to fix that! And who is likely to want to, or be able to fix that? An industrial union comprised mainly of unskilled labourers? I don't think so. We need to represent ourselves because we're in the best position to see exactly what's wrong with this picture.

At least, that's how I see things.

Cheers,

Mitch

Guest Gadgeteer

Thank-you Mitch, tsmech is confused because he isn't working in our environment. Therefore, everything looks good from the outside.
We are looking for good mechanics at AC perhaps tsmech would like to work with us.

Archived