Number 147..IED

A Canadian soldier was killed Sunday after an improvised explosive device (IED) detonated during a foot patrol, about 15 kilometres southwest of Kandahar City, in the Panjwayi District.

Sgt. Martin Goudreault a native of Sudbury, Ont. and a member of the 1 Combat Engineer Regiment, based in Edmonton, Alberta was killed.

He was serving in Afghanistan as a member of the 1st Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment Battle Group.

In a statement Monday morning, Minister of National Defence Peter MacKay extended his sympathy to Goudreault's friends, family and fellow soldiers.

"Sergeant Martin Goudreault served to help build a safe and stable future for Afghans, and he did so with honor and pride. This tragic loss is another example of the daily risks faced by the men and women of the Canadian Forces," the statement said. "Sergeant Martin Goudreault's sacrifice will not be forgotten and it will not deter us from continuing to help Afghans rebuild their country."

Governor General Michaelle Jean said his death was a "cruel reminder" of the dangers Canadian troops face.

"We admire them all the more as their sense of duty compels them to answer their country©ˆs call with valour, determination and incredible generosity," she said in a statement Monday morning. "To his family, loved ones, friends and comrades who mourn his loss today and who always supported him, we extend our deepest condolences. May they know they are not alone, and that, like them, Canadians are saddened by this loss and stand with them during this difficult time."

Goudreault died on Canadian Forces Day, which is also remembered as D-Day.

He is the 147th member of the Canadian military to die since the Afghan mission began in 2002.

No details have been released yet regarding the repatriation of Goudreault's body at CFB Trenton.

Estimated to be this coming Wednesday KP

Kip:

If you hear a date and time for the repatriation let me know. I will likely head downtown again. Might see you there. I didnt make the downsview run last week unfortunately I hear there were lots of bikes there.

Kip:

If you hear a date and time for the repatriation let me know. I will likely head downtown again. Might see you there. I didnt make the downsview run last week unfortunately I hear there were lots of bikes there.

The only thing that has been said here is that the ceremony would "likely" be this coming Wednesday.

We leave the harbour on Wednedsday morning, at first light, so I will miss this one too. (been delayed for 3 days with a mech problem)

Archived