Another good idea for making money...

Kip Powick

Continental Airlines will join United, JetBluein charging for legroom.

Continental Airlines will begin charging coach customers extra if they want a seat with more legroom.

Prices will vary depending on the length of a flight and popularity of the route. A spokeswoman said extra room on a Houston-New York flight might cost US$59. International fliers would pay more than that.

Starting March 17, coach customers will be able to pay the charge at check-in to get an exit-row seat with more legroom than the other rows, Continental said Wednesday.

Top-level members of Continental's frequent-flier program -- those who rack up at least 25,000 miles a year -- and their travelling companions will still be able to claim the exit row without extra charge.

The number of seats with extra legroom will vary depending on the size of the plane. Continental, the nation's fourth-largest airline, doesn't plan to reconfigure its planes to add more such seats.

Officials with the Houston-based airline said the new fee is simply a matter of giving customers more if they're willing to pay for it.

“Seats with additional legroom are higher-value seats, and we want to offer them to customers who recognize that value,'' said Jim Compton, Continental's executive vice-president and chief marketing officer.

Some other airlines already charge extra for exit-row seats. United, for example, sells “economy plus“ seats in coach, with more legroom. On its website, United says the upgrade costs $49 on Denver-to-Seattle flights and $109 going from Los Angeles to Tokyo.

JetBlue also charges more for legroom. Some carriers charge extra for aisle or bulkhead seats. On US Airways, window or aisle seats can cost $5 to $30 extra. (source: The Associated Press)

I just sent in a suggestion to AC, (Do they still have "Suggestion Awards?), and I think it is one that will reap great financial rewards for the airline.... ( I hope they pick my suggestion)...

Why not charge for use of the overhead bins, say $15.00/pax and if the pax is not going to use the overhead bins then $10.00 for use of floor space ahead of your seat as long as the objects put there adhere to the "safety guidlines". Naturally flights of 4 hours or more will require more serious charges(Pretty ingeniuos idea eh?)

Archived