Frustrated Flyer

Kip Powick

I have a Friend who does a bit of flying. He is about 66 years old and has an implanted pacemaker, (digital), and it took him a few years to get up enough courage to head south once or twice a winter because of the problems with security and his pacemaker.

He finally got an official letter from his doctor and up to this point he is exempt from walking through the 'ding-dong' doorway as well as being wanded.

He has been patted down each time he goes flying.

Then along came the scanner.......

He contacted the manufacturer in Canada as well as France...nobody knows if it will affect a digital pacemaker...He went to TC and all the way up the chain to get an exemption for being scanned...their answer??? "We are not responsible for airport security...go to CATSA."

And he did and their answer? We don't know anything about the scanner but if you are advised that you must be scanned, you will be scanned or you will not fly....see what Health Canada says"

So he went to Health Canada......their answer?.... " we are not responsible for airport security , go to TC ..and we do not know what, or if, there are any effects to a pacemaker if one is scanned."

I post this not looking for an answer but to illuminate a problem that has not been thought out by Government sources nor the individuals building the scanner. He is extremely frustrated and at wits end and feels that he would need some kind of official letter either exempting him from being scanned or a letter from a medical expert avowing that the scanner will not have any effect on his digital pacemaker.

He worried, and rightly so, that just a letter from his doctor might work in Canada but what about when he tries to come home?? :blink:

He will not fly until he gets an exemption and, as a friend, I advised him that he would probably be selected for scanning as he does fit the "profile"..age 66....grey hair...little overweight....slight limp...Caucasion..and a ton of photo ID, and a Canadian...... with Passport proof :lol::lol:

A great fellow, operating with only 1/3 of his heart but refuses to lanquish in pity....was supposed to be deceased two years ago and his cardiologist is amazed at how he is doing. He has his own houseboat and we see alot of each other every summer.

Anyhow..if I hear anything as he does :Cc me with all his info and emails, I'll post it.

Have a nice weekend.

Just had an idea about body scanners...............whatda ya think ?????????

A perfect solution to all the controversy over "full-body" scanners........

Have a booth that you can step into that will NOT x-ray/scan you, but will detonate any explosive device you may have on you.

It would be a win-win for everyone.biggrin.gif

So simple.....

Archived