QMJHL in Flag Signing Flap

J.O.

Flag flap results in suspension

SAINT JOHN, N.B. (Dec 21, 2006)

The coach of a Quebec Major Junior Hockey League team has been suspended for two games after players were asked to sign a Canadian flag destined for troops in Afghanistan.

The ruling against Jacques Beaulieu, coach and general manager of the Saint John Sea Dogs, was posted on the league's official website last night.

In his decision, league commissioner Gilles Courteau said Beaulieu was also sanctioned for comments about Sea Dogs left-winger Dave Bouchard.

Bouchard -- who didn't sign the flag -- was booted from the team on Sunday.

"To me, not signing it is disgraceful," Beaulieu had told the New Brunswick Telegraph-Journal. "That's a lack of character and a lack of respect for being a Canadian, and it's just totally unacceptable."

In a brief news release on the league website, Courteau said the sanction was the result of asking Sea Dogs players to sign the flag as well as public comments made about Bouchard.

"After discussions with the Sea Dogs organization and Jacques Beaulieu, I remain convinced that Dave Bouchard was released only on the grounds of his performance on the ice," said the commissioner.

"Nevertheless, the request from the Sea Dogs to have the players sign the flag was inappropriate and the comments made by Jacques Beaulieu in regards to Dave Bouchard violate the QMJHL anti-discrimination policy.

"The comments can be hurtful to the player and can be construed as a violation of his rights and consequently, of our anti-discrimination policy."

Courteau has also imposed a $1,000 fine against the Sea Dogs organization.

The commissioner, the team and Bouchard's agent all said they would not be available for comment on the league's decision.

Bouchard, a 20-year-old from Jonquiere, Que., said he didn't sign the flag because he was told another player had signed on his behalf. He later said he apologized to the coach.

Bouchard has said that not signing the flag was, in fact, the main reason for his release. He also stressed he doesn't oppose Canada's military presence in Afghanistan.

Beaulieu said the young man was kicked off the team for not being a team player, but he also cited Bouchard's failure to sign the flag as an aggravating factor.

True, but the league never mentioned that law as the reason they sanctioned the coach. Rather, they sanctioned him because of the political sensitivity of the Canadian flag in Quebec.

There is ample recent history of hockey of teams signing the flag. Team Canada did it after they won the gold medal (both mens and womens teams) at Salt Lake City, and so did the world jumior team last year. Given that it was intended as a show of support for the troops in Afghanistan, I suspect the government would be loath to prosecute that particular offense.

Guest rattler

True, but the league never mentioned that law as the reason they sanctioned the coach. Rather, they sanctioned him because of the political sensitivity of the Canadian flag in Quebec.

There is ample recent history of hockey of teams signing the flag. Team Canada did it after they won the gold medal (both mens and womens teams) at Salt Lake City, and so did the world jumior team last year. Given that it was intended as a show of support for the troops in Afghanistan, I suspect the government would be loath to prosecute that particular offense.

I don't think it has anything to do with Quebec. The coach suspended a player who refused to sign the flag and the league then took action against the coach.

Freedom of choice would say that the player had the right to refuse to sign the flag and that the coach was wrong to suspend him.

It may sound cliche, but sometimes in a team environment you have to suck it up and do what the coach (or your teammates) ask of you to support team unity. We're not talking about a hazing ritual here, we're talking about a team of atheletes doing something to recognize the sacrifice of our soldiers overseas. Would signing the flag really hurt the guy so much? Let's suppose the coach asked the team to be involved in a charity fundraiser as a way to build team unity (a common occurrence, BTW). If the guy refused, would the coach not have a right to sit him down for a few games? The coach said something in public which criticized the player, again not an uncommon occurrence in the sporting world. How often does criticizing a player lead to a suspension? Could be wrong, but this is the first time I can recall it happening. Makes it hard to believe there wasn't at least some politics involved...

I don't think it has anything to do with Quebec. The coach suspended a player who refused to sign the flag and the league then took action against the coach.

The player in question has stated numerous times that he did not refuse to sign the flag, but rather, that he had been informed that another player signed his name for him.

I am sure more on this will come out in time as to the real reason this player was supended.

Archived