Only in Canada

Kip Powick

I see of the dim bulbs have come out of the woodwork to bitch that it is politically incorrect to call a football team the "Eskimos". I can't believe editors of newspapers are actually giving these guys space to print their stupid letters.

I guess next year it will be the "Edmonton Inuits" and you know how the fans are going to love that...go you "Edmonton Idiots"...

yeh only in Canada are we so politically correct..oops--- sorry didn't mean to offend anyone...my apologies...sorry but you see I'm Canadian ...and don't believe everything you see in the beer adverts. sad.gifunsure.gif

Kip,

Allow me to relate a funny and true personal story on the topic.

I was at the Red Deer Airshow about 10 years ago (at Penhold airport) and my kids were crawling through the static displays.

I am standing next to a guy wearing a "Pratt and Whitney" ballcap. "Do you fly one of these planes?", I ask him. He says; "No I fly a 737 for Northwest Territorial". Oh says I; "I am going to be on one of your flights next week since I'm deadheading up to the Edmonton International to do a charter flight". "For who?" says he.

"We are taking the Eskimos down to Sacramento".

"OH we don't call them that!", says he.

"What would you call them?", says I.

"Oh we would say Inuit or Denai".

"But these are the Edmonton Eskimos says I...you know THE FOOTBALL TEAM!!"

blink.gif

Guest rattler

Yes, I imagine with this type of thinking, a dog that we all recognise by a well established name will have to become a Doberperson.

And then there is the offensive "Scotsman Bluff" in Calgary. biggrin.gif

Of course I always thought that the ultimate "Scotsman Bluff" was ........ give the bill to me. cool.gif

Archived