A transcript from a talk by Capt. Al Haynes:

I found this this morning while hunting for info on the value of CRM... Some of you have mentioned that you've been to his seminars, but others may find this of value: http://yarchive.net/air/airliners/dc10_sioux_city.html ... I sure did!

One clip from the end where he was answering questions:

"Q: What is your personal opinion of the DC-10 aircraft?

H: I love it. It's a great airplane, I've enjoyed flying it. I've

flown it, I said, for 9 years as a copilot, and I'll end up flying it

four years as a captain. It's my favorite airplane. It's a pilot's

airplane. It's an old man's airplane."

... and it's my airplane! I think I like that man. laugh.gif

Hey Mitch,

Al Haynes is a hard man not to like. I was fortunate enough to see his presentation at a CRM conference in Dallas several years ago and got to chat with him after. He’s a very approachable and interesting guy and his presentation is gripping.

DR

Hi Dave... "Gripping"? I'll bet it is! I know this has been discussed here before, but I'd never seen a link to that transcript before.... well worth the time to read, for those who haven't heard him personally.

Pretty amazing set of circumstances that led to such a decent survival rate, given the severity of the accident!

I found it amusing to read his comments on UA's maintenance involvement... I can imagine what he was thinking at the time... sad.gif (thoughts for which he wanted to apologize smile.gif )...and what they must have been going through trying to come up with anything at all that might help! What a helplessly empty feeling that must have been! No hydraulics at all!!??!! ...uhhh well ahhh... good luck! ?... blink.gif Krikey, what can you say?... "Hang on while we try to invent some way for you to create what isn't there"? unsure.gif (from this transcript, it sounds as though their last words to him were almost as useless... "Stand by" dry.gif )

Anyway, it's great that he's around to talk about it.

Cheers,

Mitch

Not one of us pilots understands or can foresee that a small speck of sand can make our llives so miserable for such a relatively short time. All of us dumb-asses depend on (whether) we like it or not) engineering and, more importantly the engineers that take care of the aiframe. At least, I do.

Archived