Forum (actually, this site...) Help Request

Guest Ray Darr

Guest Ray Darr

How the heck can I prevent having to log in all the time? It's fine for a few hours...and even when I keep the cookies for this site, it seems if I am away for a 1/2 day or so I have to re-log in! Smack me in the head and call me stupid (thousands have...) but this is driving be BATTY!

All settings, as far as I know, are to accept all cookies from this great (...note admin...great!) site, but heck if I can figure what I have set wrong. FYI, I have gone all through the different links / settings....all to no avail.

Thanks, whomever helps out with a worthy cause.

Guest Ray Darr

Thanks for the speedy reply.

OS WinXP

Browser Win Explorer (latest... whatever it is) all patches applied.

Try this link and let me know if this is set up ok

Cookie Settings

Another thing you could try is opening IE and select Tools - Internet options - Connections - Lan Settings. Try clicking OFF, "Automatically detect settings" now restart your computer.

If your internet connection is lost for any reason, I think that you need to re-login

Guest Ray Darr

Hello admin!

LAN settings are set as you mentioned.

I have a cookie managing program that is set to accept cookies from

"forum.aeforum.net" and unless there are other "cookies" your site sends out, they should be retained by my browser.

Can you list what cookies (with their addresses) you send out, and what each one does? That way I can tweak the filter. If this isn't the answer, I am still stumped.

As soon as I see what to set, I will check things and reply.

I'm curious re the "internet connection lost".... = new logon. I thought the cookies would manage that too, just like when you re-dial a dial-up ISP (which mine is not...) the cookies would retain the log-on details.

Again, thanks for the assistance.

Acually the cookies are from "theairlinewebsite.com" this could be the problem

Let me know how you make out.

Guest Ray Darr

Hi Admin.

Still no success figuring this out on my end, and it still happens.

The only cookies I have gotten are forum.aeforum.net, all which were accepted automatically. No aeforum or similar showed as rejected by the cookie manager I use.

More info possibly related - this system automatically does a clearing of temp internet files (but not the cookies) however...do they have some connection I am not aware of??

I'll be flogging around the skies for a few days and will check on my return if you have had any other suggestions.

Cheers,

R.D.

Guest rattler

Ray, assuming you are using Internet Explorer you may want to check your history retention. Under tools, internet options. I find when I set my for a retention of a day and don't visit the forum within a day, my forum history goes south and all posts now appear as new. Just a thought.

Guest Ray Darr

Hi Admin, please let me know if you find something. Again, thanks.

Rattler: History is automatically dumped. In the past I noticed that history files could be the source of corrupt that can lead to slow downloads, page loading, etc (not on AEForum specifically but the www in general...). So regardless if I retain the history or not this needing to re-log on happens. It isn't an issue on having the posts show as new or old...it's simply logging back in that is a *ROYAL* pain.

I can't see any pattern to it (yet).

Thanks though. Cheers.

R.D.

Ray.... it couldn't be something simple could it?.... Just in case... If you find the "log out" tag at the top of the page someplace... and then, after that, find the "log on" link... (rather than the "quick log on") one of the little boxes you can check says "remember me".... forgive me if this is like telling you you need to plug in your computer to make it work, but.... like I said...just in case.....

Good luck.

Guest Ray Darr

Hi Mitch. Just can't escape from you, can we? tongue.gif (Seriously, thanks for the input on this bothersome annoyance! No, Mitch, I haven't used the "Log Out" option, and I HAVE used the "Remember Me" option.)

More fuel to the fire. I shut the machine down for a few days, and did not need to log on when I fired it up again. Strange things be a-happening....

Will update as the plot thickens...

Cheers all,

R.D.

Archived