new jets

Calgary FA

Guest Airway

Where did you hear that? All the company + ALPA have said so far is that the mediation continues on thurs. The only timeline that has been mentioned is that Farley has 60 days to rule on the arbitration after all submissions have been made. The last submissions were on Feb. 29, so I assume he has until the end of April at the latest, to mediate or arbitrate.

Guest directlaw

ACPA,

"Mediation will continue until Thursday at which time we will update you further."

Teplitsky has 60 days from Feb. 29th and he has decided he can use that time as he sees fit.

Guest directlaw

It appears that Mr. Teplitsky must believe there is at least a remote chance of a negotiated settlement. My guess is that either the parties are closer than we think or one party has lost big and that can be used as leverage for a settlement. He therefor has set aside a few days for mediation but has stated it must be swift. It would be reasonable to assume that if the parties were close on Thursday he would extend even further. It is also reasonable to assume that if it becomes obvious there will not be a negotiated settlement mediation will end sooner.

If mediation fails he has 60 days from Feb. 29th.

Guest Airway

From ALPA:

The mediation effort was adjourned until Thursday March 4th, Arbitrator Teplitsky will be reserving his final decision on the arbitration matters before him until such time as the mediation fails, or a settlement agreement is reached between the parties in which case a judgment from the arbitrator will not be required.

According to this, there will be no further talks until Thurs., and mediation may continue after that.

Guest directlaw

ALPA

"The mediation effort was adjourned..." In other words arbitration has already ended and mediation has already started. Mediation will re commence on Thursday.

ACPA

"Mediation continues until Thursday at which time we will update you further"

I think they are saying basically the same thing. Mediation has already started. The next date is Thursday and we will see what happens from there.

How about this possibility; Teplitsky doesn't expect a mediated result however, the mediation itself will provide him with an opportunity to get involved and come to a better understanding of the issues without being bound by the formality of the rules which govern arbitration?

Guest jackofalltrades

If you two are paying dues to these unions, shouldn't you know exactly what is going on?

Guest directlaw

Very good point. But we do not know if this mediation effort is with or without prejudice. If it is without, and my hunch is that is in order to get everyones agreement, then none of what is discussed can be used to formulate Teplitsky's final decision.

But you are correct he will have a better understanding of how his arbitrated decision will affect the groups. My gut feeling though is that he would not be doing this unless there was some hope that it will result in a solution.

Archived