Mitch...Mitch...Mitch

Kip Powick

Not that I have anything against them, they're a fine machine, and the LRT's slung under the wings are very fine.... But they're "turbofan" engines, and that's a narrow bodied transport aircraft, not a "jet". or so I think

Mitch,

Me thinks you have been cuddling up to Mr. Appleton when you scribed the above remarks. :> For us very parochial encumbered aviators, anything that does not have a propeller, excluding a glider..(although I did hear there was a glider that had jet engines on it but they ran out of nutrients and became a glider….for awhile), is classified as a Jet.

Now there will be those that know the inner workings of the small and large jet engines better than some but suffice to say, if it ain’t got those big things whirling around out there with the tips going near supersonic, then it is a jet engine that is supplying the means of propulsion.

I mean…. really….who wants to say they are “turbofan” or rotary-wing pilot???? Egos ..think egos..Mitch.. ;)

You jet jockeys call 'em what you will... I'm still gonna think of a little smoke belching, crackling loud, thin pipe when I hear the word Jet...

Someone still uses the term "fanjet" for bigger stoves... don't remember who that is. And I should give you, the "JT" in Pratts stands for "jet turbine", so even their big ugly old jt9's are still "jets" I guess...

As for aircraft... When I hear one referred to as a "jet", I think fighter. I suppose that's a personal thing... not technical.

Those helio-things that fling their own wings about, beating the air into submission and scaring the earth 'til it repels them.... with little "turboshaft" screamers in 'em... Yikes! :D

Exactly! Have you got an answer?

A friend of mine once told me his brother had quit the military, flying f18's, to join fedex flying right seat in 727's.... All I could think was how much of a rip-off life can be sometimes for that move to make sense to anyone who likes flying!

I'd cut off my leg to have a single chance to fly an f18! Or poke one eye out for even a chance to ride in one!

....sigh.... but I'm straying here.... technically, both are "jets", but only one of them seems to fit the description in my mind.

Archived