Q for WestJetters:

Mitch Cronin

My nephew married a Dutch girl who flies for KLM... she'd started there as a cruise pilot (not sure what term they use?) in 747-300's and has since moved to the right seat on 737 NG aircraft...

She's been commuting back and forth for a long time now and is hoping at some point to find work in Canada.

I'm wondering what chance she might have at WJ?

I've read somewhere that WJ requires 5000 hrs. Forgive my ignorance, but is that all PIC time? ...I've also read that a recommendation from someone inside is almost essential for getting a job... Is it a must? Or would she stand a chance of getting an interview if she had the required hours, while knowing nobody on the inside?

Hoping someone can clue me in so I can tell her what's what.

Cheers,

Mitch

Hey Mitch;

She should have an excellent chance. We are hiring and will be for a while to come yet. I've heard as many as 8 - 10 a month for the next year at least.

The minimum has to be met. I think it has been reduced to 4,000 hours total time. Some jet experience would be nice but not essential.

Sounds like she's got that covered.

We rely heavily on the internal recommendation strategy to get good people. Aviation is a small world and chances are someone has worked with you and knows you. It would be advantageous for her to contact someone she knows here and have them put in a "recommend".

If she doesn't know anybody, then it may take a little longer, but if she's qualified, she'll get the call.

Good luck! (y)

Archived