Questions for YYZ ATC!

Gumbi

I'd sure like to get a straight answer on this one, or am I losing my time?

Yesterday night, on our way from YMX to YYZ, cruising at 350, we're asked, by YUL, to increase our speed to .82 for sequencing into YYZ. After checking in with YYZ, we're cleared PD to 240 and keep your best forward speed in descent so we set up for .82/320. At about FL260 descending, we're asked to reduce to... 270 kts and cross WASIE at 7000' (which at this point becomes almost quasi-impossible since we have to reduce speed by 50 kts and thus become so much higher on our profile, remember the best forward speed?)

So, we manage to make the WASIE restriction at 7000 and further reduction to 210kts thanks to FULL speed brakes!!! We're then transfered to APP CTRL, who asks us what speed we're doing, and since we tell him 210kts , he clears us on a 190 hdg RV for 23 LOC. He then turns us on a 220hdg for Xcept of 23 LOC but keeps us at 7000 until we're 16 DME and reduces us to 160kts and then almost in panic asks us to maintain no more than 160 to the marker and clears us for the ILS!!!!!( there's a A320 5 miles ahead)

All the while, we were hearing airplanes being issued "times leaving YSO"...

First question: could someone explain the necessity of applying such inapropriate and erratic speed control (I dare anyone to sit in the back of a plane being issued such restrictions...) at an airport which can use 3 rwys simultaneously and with severe VFR conditions prevailing?

Second question: Do you guys talk to each other from sector to sector on the handoff?

I'm really looking forward to an informative discussion on this one, believe me...!

Gumbi

Archived