For spelling nazis (myself included!)

Tango Niner

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

T9

Guest Nobias

You may note that the spammers have already taken advantage of this fact to get around the filters in some cases. D'oh!

Guest JakeYYZ

Just kidding, it’s actually quite fascinating.

I jsut did a Golgoe seacrh for Esngilh urtnieivsy and fnuod 1,624(!) htis. It's srenapdig lkie wliifrde via eaiml and bdroas.

Some questions come to mind:

1) Does word length affect intelligibility? After all, the shorter a word, the fewer possible permutations for those few letters in the middle. In short words, maybe it's only a choice out of two of three possibilities.

2) It was easy to read the paragraph in part because the overall discourse context provided clues to the identity words. For example, syntactic clues tell you to expect a noun, a verb, etc. And you have the first and last letter. Suppose you are reading words in isolation? I bet it doesn't work as well then.

It seems that the further along one gets in a sentence that's been jumbled like this the easier it gets. Anticipating words to come later in the sentence being easier than at the beginning.

Interesting, nonetheless.

Guest PortTack

I think some of the Spelling Nazis scare off good input on this site.

So, with this wonderful resirtch, mabee we overlook the spilling and attract divirse opininions...from those afraid to post.

I agree with you - context is everything. It aids hugely in "guessing" mentally at each and every word.

Word SIZE, as you said, is also a major factor. For instance, you lost me on this one: "It's srenapdig lkie wliifrde via eaiml and bdroas". So the theory, though interesting, is certainly not infallible.

I've always been a spelling nazi. I have ranted on this forum that spelling errors contribute to the degradation of the language, etc. But I'm slowly coming to realize that the reality is closer to what PortTack said. Worrying about perfect spelling just scares people off.

The crux of the issue is: can get your point across, with or without errors? If so, more power to you.

Cheers

T9

Archived