Now how does that go...for the want of a....

Guest M. McRae

Guest M. McRae

Glad it ended well. Now as for the cause of the tire loss and of course how accurate the news story was.....

Plane drops tire taking off from O'Hare

By Jon Hilkevitch

Tribune transportation reporter

September 24, 2003, 3:56 PM CDT

A United Airlines jetliner lost a tire today during takeoff from O'Hare International Airport, and its nose gear collapsed during a rough landing in Washington, D.C., the Federal Aviation Administration said.

None of the 57 passengers or 5 crew members was injured, authorities said.

United Flight 604, a Boeing 737 en route to Reagan Washington National Airport, lost one of two tires on its nose-gear assembly while taking off from O'Hare, said Monique Bond, spokeswoman for the Chicago Department of Aviation.

The plane left O'Hare shortly before 8 a.m., and its pilots were unaware of the problem until they touched down at Reagan about two hours later, officials said.

"The first indication to the crew of a problem was after the aircraft landed and they inspected it," said FAA spokesman Jim Peters in New York. "There is no indicator on the aircraft to alert the crew that a nose wheel had come off."

The main landing gear under the belly of the 737 touched down normally, but things got bumpy when the plane's nose made contact with the runway on one tire and the steel wheel of the other, officials said.

Flying debris from the wheel damaged the plane's right engine, Peters said.

The accident shut down the Washington airport's runway for hours while FAA investigators studied the damaged plane. The passengers were kept on the plane for about 45 minutes after landing and then were taken off by a portable staircase and bused to the terminal, according to United spokeswoman Chris Nardella.

O'Hare, meanwhile, was alerted to the mishap, and airfield workers found the tire near the runway where the aircraft had taken off, Bond said. Investigators now are seeking to determine what caused the tire to fall off.

UPDATE 1-Washington airport runway blocked by disabled jet

Wed September 24, 2003 06:06 PM ET

(Updates with landing gear tire found in Chicago, plane removed from runway)

WASHINGTON, Sept 24 (Reuters) - The main runway at Washington's Reagan National airport was blocked for almost six hours on Wednesday by a disabled United Airlines jetliner that landed after losing a tire during takeoff from Chicago.

All 62 passengers and crew on United UALAQ.OB Flight 604 were evacuated without incident from the Boeing BA.N 737, which landed in the capital shortly before 11 a.m., about two hours after takeoff.

Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Jim Peters said the plane lost the tire from its nose landing gear during takeoff from O'Hare airport. The crew was unaware of the problem until the plane reached the capital. The landing gear assembly has two tires.

The aircraft was stranded nearly halfway down Reagan National's primary runway before it was removed.

Commercial operations were moved to a second runway but air traffic controllers slowed the pace of flights to minimize delays.

Peters said the plane sustained damage to its right engine, but it was unclear if the tire struck the engine or the wing or kicked up debris from the runway when it separated from the landing gear.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=3503099

Questions???

You'd think that if the tire shredded on T/O the vibration would have been quite pronounced??

And if it damaged the engine when it departed the aircraft wouldn't the crew have noticed???

I'm thinking that the reporting is somewhat lacking as usual, but just the same I'm glad they managed to keep her straight and there is only "Bent metal"

Brett

Guest M. McRae

Re the engine damage, it appears from the article that the damage happened on landing (debris from the gear breaking up). Anyway, another example of how skill can overcome the "gremlins" :)

Now I see... the flying debris was from the other wheel?

I really like these two statements :D

"and its nose gear collapsed during a rough landing in Washington"

"The first indication to the crew of a problem was after the aircraft landed and they inspected it," said FAA spokesman...

I'm also thinking they pretty much knew there was a problem when the nose touched down. :(

Brett

Guest M. McRae

If they didn't, someone should be talking to them. :) Oh, well....one hardly ever gets accurate reporting anymore, the public seems to want shock headlines followed by fluff.

Guest yyzparkcrew

to find out what happened check out this site in a couple of days. if its already well known please accept my appologies. I am new to the forum

Archived