A positive spin

Guest Patrick Bergen

Guest Patrick Bergen

There have been numerous reasons given as to why Air Canada has not and is not doing well.

-Pilots are paid too much and are bitter

-Ramp guys are lazy

-Managers and Six Sigma are repressing the workers and thusly lowering productivity.

What are some ideas about how to make the airline profitable and better to work at?

For example marketing our expertise to other companies or new products. Anyone want to go out on a limb and suggest something positive.

Hi Patrick

How about,

1/ Cutting lease rates alomost in half

2/ Convert debt to eguity

3/ Reduce salaries by a third

4/ Rationalize the fleet

5/ Drop money losing routes

6/ Streamline management

7/ Raise new investment capital

From what I understand, the speed and the effectiveness of the restructuring has very much impressed people in the business community.

I do however agree with those that say that the next big step after we are out of bankruptcy protection will be to really involve the employees by empowering them to do the job that they are more than capable of doing.

It is hard for those directly involved, but it has just been announced that we are basically shedding a whole level of management. This will cause the authority to make customer oriented decisions filter further down the food chain.

Hopefully, and I am confident it will, this will empower those that have direct contact with our customers to be able to make decisions that are in the customers best interest, and by extension in the company's best interest.

I am firmly convinced that this will be a very different company with a much improved work environment after restructuring.

I hope I'm right. :)

Greg

Greg,

I do like the rationalizing the fleet idea, any suggestions as what and how to do this item.What fleet changes would you make? It has been suggested to me that dumping the A330 and A340 for &&& would be a good move, I have my reservations on this one.

The 767 300's need to have all the cabins configured the exact same, at present to many different configs, prevents cross utilization.

A319, a320,a321, should we keep only the one type i.e only A320's.

Actually, I was referring to the plan the company already announced which was to lose the 747s and the 737s.

This of course is subject to change as there is a rumour floating arond that we're keepiong the 747.

Cheers

Greg

Guest Patrick Bergen

I completely agree. If anyone were to walk around and talk to the frontline people, they would find a depth of knowledge and passion for the job. Any move in the direction of empowering these people is a smart one. I trust that is where we are headed. If we aren't too careful it may just be fun to go to work.

Only the combis Greg. Wanna hear another hot one? Boeing is offering us another 3 -400 combis at rates that we cannot refuse [they were headed for Marana, AZ, and Boeing doesn't want the cracks full of scorpions and various and sundry critters]. Who knows?

Cheers,

Iain E.

Hi Iain

Prior to filing under the CCAA Milton's plan was to get costs down and grow the airline. We're getting the costs down. It'll be interesting to see where we go from heare.

Cheers

Greg

Archived