Strategy

John S.

Is it all about strategy?

A few days ago comments were posted that being the last of the unions to get a TA and/or vote on a TA may have some strategic advantages.

Being the last union to settle means that the responsibility of your decisions are magnified. So too are the ramifications for the management team.

In short being the last to settle is like being the last player at a very high stakes poker game when all the less experienced players have folded.

On the other hand there are some advantages to folding early and not being last.

Continuing the poker strategy: it would like the some unions taking a small pot knowing full well that they may not have the cards (or guts to make a play) for the final big pot.

The other employee groups could made an early deal that includes some benefit that you want. (I'm thinking of the small jet flying that both pilot groups want. But there are also examples for the other working groups as well.)

If it is all about strategy then when the final card is turned it will be up to the dealer to make the call as to the winner's hand. And it is possible to split the pot. But isn't that part of the strategy also?

I guess another discussion point is who's dealing?

Kinda makes me wish I'd wasted away more of my time at UBC playing poker instead of watching the most famous (Henderson) goal of all time. :)

It's called multi-tasking, John. You play a game of poker with your tuition money, while chatting up the waitress in the bar, and keeping a close eye on the telly as Paul dekes Tretiak for the winning goal.

Ah, to be young again.

neo

Archived