Scruples

I should be in bed, at least, that's where I was when, fool that I am, it hit me. This "leaked" information about the "leanings" of the Keller award and the potential effect upon the TA ratificaiton vote. A week ago the collective ACPA group was relieved to have had an eleventh hour agreement, that is, before the details were known. As the details were circulated the YES/NO camps began to coalesce with strong arguments for each. There is no doubt that the TA is a sh1t sandwich but also little doubt that we would each have to take a bite. The sticking point was, and still is, the 70-110 seat jet flying. By and large the sentiment was to wait to see the actual details of the TA and then decide but it was a foregone conclusion that we had little chance of improving the TA.

Then what? The ACPA merger committee starts to leak rumours about the Keller award. Suddenly begrudging acceptance of the TA turns to outright defiance when it seems, lo and behold, maybe those jets at the low rung of the ladder are going to be crewed by a more equitable percentage of Original AC pilots, not exclusively by the ex CP group whom we've so far, managed to relegate to ZIP. All of a sudden there is the righteous indignation that can only come from the realization that someone else, a blue guy, may not be taking the hit for you and that the pain might have to be shared.

Now the gloves are off.

Now there are lines drawn in the sand.

Now it is a matter of principle.

Amazing where and when these principles show up. Now the original AC group, or at least the bottom half of it, is willing to see the whole airline tank in the airline version of the Cold War's Mutually Assured Destruction. "We don't get our way, then we all burn!"

I hope ACPA is getting prepared to hire security to protect its members should this thing tank because the seven other unions that do ratify will be looking for some payback and I, for one, wouldn't blame them.

Can't live with the TA? Quit! Can't live with Keller? I think you'll find that the ex CP group will keep up the fight.

I'm interested in where you sit as you pontificate about scruples. Are you an ex-CAIL pilot? If so, you should know better than to make those sorts of accusations. It seems that we all claim the high road as we knock the other guy, taking very little time to understand his legitimate thoughts and concerns.

I'd like to point out a few things: First, that you can't judge the thoughts of all ACPA members (or any group for that matter) by what you read here on the AEF. The "scorched-earth policy" is only the angry reaction of a few very disappointed people. What will they really vote when they look over at their kids or think about the mortgage as they dial the IVR line?

Second, the information wasn't leaked by the ACPA merger committee. The facts- that they left the process because they felt that it didn't follow the established protocol- speaks volumes by itself.

Third- the CAIL pilots were equally unhappy with the first arbitration and successfully fought to have it overturned. Why should they have a monopoly on seeking a fair and equitable solution?

There are many, many angles to our current problems. We all need to cut the other guy some slack as we look for answers, and carefully check our own emotions when we state our opinions. Pointing fingers and hurling insults will not bring us any closer to our goals.

Archived