Re: Montreal - Beirut

Guest Goggles

Guest Goggles

"I am of the FIRM belief that our Government was forced, by the American Government, into yanking our license to operate to Lebanon."

The big factor here is that we have a solicitor general, Wayne Easter, who's proven extremely naive in these matters.

He's the one who, a few months ago, had Hezbollah put on the terrorism list, based on foreign intelligence sources that turned out to be a complete fabrication. You would have thought that, with the resources available to him (RCMP, CSIS) he could have had it verified before opening his trap. The same has probably happened again. His spooks probably just had a chat with US and Israeli spooks and ours probably said 'gosh, I guess you must be right'.... what a joke!

Isralel is probably in it too. This would be economic reasons. Tourism is hurting in Israel, and I don't think that they want any competition. Also, Israel is also &%$@! off at Lebanon for doing nothing about Hezbollah. That will be difficult because Hezbollah is widely credited there with the end of Israeli occupation of South Lebanon.

The US too is trying to marginalize Lebanon, since its government refuses to become pliant to US policy.

Hezbollah has nothing against Canada, and they would be nuts to try something as they're trying to gain legitimacy in Lebanon and abroad.

Goggles

Your probably right, Hezbollah is nothing more than a peaceful political group that wants nothing more than peace on Earth, goodwill to all men. Mossad has likely infiltrated CSIS and the Federal gov't and is pulling all the strings along with it's US lackeys.

God knows it couldn't just be another bonehead move on the part of the Liberals. After all they have been right up front helping everyone in the industry all through the last few years.

Guest Goggles

"Your probably right, Hezbollah is nothing more than a peaceful political group that wants nothing more than peace on Earth, goodwill to all men. Mossad has likely infiltrated CSIS and the Federal gov't and is pulling all the strings along with it's US lackeys."

That's some really profound analysis you have there. Wayne Easter would certainly appreciate your expertise in these matters!

Apart from that, Easter declared today that the government had not acted on any specific threat; just on the overall situation. That probably included a last minute reminder on US foreign policy.

Goggles

I remain convinced that the U.S. had a SIGNIFICANT role to play in this matter.

Havng said this, the most interesting thing is that on Friday, May 30, 2003 - the U.S. reopened it's Embassy in Awkar, Lebanon. Furthermore, Colin Powell had this to say about Lebanon, last month:

From the US Department of State - International Information Programs

6 May 2003

Powell Says Lebanon Could Be Regional Model for Democracy

Cites "new strategic situation" in Middle East

At a press briefing in Beirut on May 3, Secretary of State Colin Powell said that Lebanon "could be a model for democracy and

free trade in the region." Powell and Lebanese Foreign Minister Jean Obeid spoke to the press following Powell's meeting with

Lebanese President Emile Lahoud, speaker of Parliament Nabil Berri, and Prime Minister Rafiq Hariri.

Powell said that "there is new strategic situation" in the region, and that the United States is committed to a comprehensive peace in

the Middle East that would include the interests of Lebanon and Syria.

"Peace must come to the whole region," he said.

This is a classic demonstration of hipocracy at its best. With all these actions taken by the U.S. (including this week's Peace Process "workshop" being held in the Middle East", how can anybody possibly point the finger at poor little USA.....

Guest Goggles

"I remain convinced that the U.S. had a SIGNIFICANT role to play in this matter."

This I believe is true. However, Canada as a sovereign nation is not obligated to follow the foreign policy of another country.

However, I think that it has more to do with an ineffectual clown who thinks that he's the chief spook. He's constantly defending CSIS when they screw up (Air India bombing), faithfully repeating to the public what the real spooks have briefed him on.

Like in many government organizations, some bureaucrats want to exert an influence out of all proportion to their role.

It's the duty of a minister to protect the public against the abuses of his bureaucrats, and make his department accountable. In this case, Wayne Easter is just their naive spokesperson.

On behalf of his bureacratic masters, he's the one who pulled the plug on the Beirut flight. That's because our spooks are friendly with their spooks.... That's all.

Remember... he said yesterday that there had not been any specific threat; just that the climate was not appropriate. The Solicitor General in this case is dabbling in foreign policy, not national security.

It's telling that the US is reopening their embassy in Lebanon. Given the unfortunate past experiences of their staff and nationals in that country, one would think that they would have made a very positive security assessment before going there again.

Goggles.

Archived