No Furloughs......No Jobs......

Guest WA777

Guest WA777

Unfortunately there is no other way.....if 40 planes are parked and there are no pilot furloughs........there won't be jobs for anyone........IMO

Guest Dick Dastardly

Do you know that what was announced last night is only 2% less than we are presently operating?

Essentially, 35 or so airplanes are grounded already without the associated savings.

Guest tritanic

Do you not think that we will reach a break over point where it becomes necessary

to actually send pilots out the door? Have you not noticed the amount of aircraft at

YVR, YYZ, & YUL that sit all day?

We are on the slippery slope now, let's get a foot hold.

Guest chiselcharter

What would be the answer? Immediately layoff 40 aircraft worth of pilots and begin downtraining? Summer months are traditionally busy. SAR's seems to have turned it's ugly head and Iraq is stabilizing. Parking airplanes only saves gas, commisary and landing fees. It's reguarded as a temporary measure whilst the industry goes heads up and gasps for air. If things don't begin to rebound in the next few months pilots will be donning their pink slips. This is purely a stop gap measure.

The problem is that SARS as a deterrent to travel is not going away. It's still in the headlines because of China and because every second day some moron doctor half way around the world says one of his patients with a cough travelled through Toronto recently andso must have SARS. Sorry, it will take a year or more to recover from SARS. People I talk to outside the country still talk about Toronto and Canada like it's a plague zone. The fact that the WHO travel ban was lifted means nothing to them even if they heard about the ban being removed.

People have a lot of places they can travel. If not Canada, they can go to Mallorca or the Scottish highlands. The fact is Canada has lost the 2003 summer tourist season. It is unfair, but we were collectively buggered by that WHO travel ban.

The Bali bombing was several months ago, but I haven't heard one person planning to go to Bali, even if the bombers have been arrested. It may be years before people even consider Bali again.

I won't take as long for Canada to recover, because Canada is multi-ethnic and stable politically. But recovery won't come soon enough to rescue this summer's peak tourism season.

Guest Max Continuous

>> stable politically <<

I'm glad that you didn't use the term mentally stable politically - I mean who could question the sound, rational proposal to decriminalize the use of marijuana?

Guest Mtc.

It's not only outside of Canada that misinformation and down right ignorance about SARS exists... A radio station in YHZ is giving away a trip to YYZ to see Ozzy O.. The kind of contest where you call in and become elligble..... This one "winner" called in and happened to be the right caller, the DJ hypes up the contest (as the sponsors dictate) and this caller is more concerned that the concert is in YYZ and that he should get a mask if he wins ... I know of one mask he could wear ... The DJ stopped just short of calling this guy an idiot and told him to go read a newspaper or watch the news and get himself "edumacated" ...

Pisses me off, read only the headlines, screw the background info ....

Alright, I'm OK now...

Guest The Gapper

You'd figure those guy's would have time to read the paper seeing as there's no fish to catch

Guest mars

Are you saying Atlantic Canadians are all fishermen? Or on EI? Would you call all Westerners, redneck farmers; or all Quebecois, seperatist; or all those in Ontario, Bay Street snobs?

Oh, wait, I forgot this forum is all about calling the other guy names and insulting his intelligence based on whom he works for or where he's from.

If the aviation industry in Canada were ever to form a sports league it would be the only one in the world where t-e-I-m would be the correct spelling

Archived