Is "Your Union Leadership" in tune

LongTimer V

Somebody better rein in Dave Richie of my I.A.M. I have a feeling he's gonna screw me before i have a chance to drop my pants.He better smarten up IMHO.I'm willing to listen to what the company has to offer,but please no more talking to the press Dave.

Guest Mustang50

Nice eh? What you probably don't know is that a core group of IAM individuals were and are prepared to deal with the issues in a proactive way but have been sidelined by Ritchie as any matters regarding AC's CCAA filing are now in is hands per his prime directive. I'm afraid that you will see much more of his disfuntional rhetoric in the future and smarterning up is not on his agenda. What burns me to no end is that there are individuals already in the IAM who want to deal with these matters in the best possible way for their membership but cannot with the Ritchie stranglehold in place. People who have been elected to safeguard your collective agreements,pensions and future are now being pushed out of the picture. You will probably see an upset in the current structure whereby people will be appointed by Ritchie himself to do 'key' jobs regarding your future with no input from the District Lodge, Local Lodges and the membership at large. Makes you feel warm and fuzzy all over when a dictator hijaaks a process that has been put in place by your union to protect the members but is blatently thrown out the window for ones own power struggle. Best keep those pants on bro because when then Ritchie 'Pooperoni' hits there isn't gonna be enough vaseline in the world to absorb the friction and pain.

Guest Airmail

Exactly...Ritchie put out an edict that he and only he can speak to the media or the company and that the elected lodge executives are not allowed to do so under punishment. What I can't figure out if since this is such an important issue, the lodge executives have a mandate and we're supposed to be talking about grown human beings with their own brains, why are people staying silent and allowing someone to buldozer the interests of his own members?

This along with a whole other assortment of reasons, is why we in maintenance are very close to filing with the CIRB to remove the IAM as our bargaining agent.

Guest Airmail

Good luck...I'm not sure if that amounts to "too little, too late" because any such filing will no doubt take some time...

CIRB may "take some time". That is the understatement of the month, maybe the year. Controllers have been before the board for over 2 years to get a ruling on essential services. The CIRB is apparently accountable to no one for performance (or lack thereof) of it's mandate. Sure makes a mockery of the Labour Code changes that were designed to streamline and shorten collective bargaining. Good luck, you'll need it.

Archived