Speeds

dragon

NAT Strict adherence of MACH or advise ATC

CDA within 0.01 MACH, or advise ATC

Here’s my question. Why does 5% come to mind when discussing speed, or is it 0.5 IAS/MACH or 0.05? For some reason the 5 sticks in my mind and I cannot remember for the life of me. [Cannot find it anywhere either..]

Did there used to be, or is there currently a requirement for a 5 [%, 0.05 or IAS/MACH in the NAT, CDA, EUR or NO/SOPAC airspace?]

dragon

Guest bcpilot

I'me not sure, but I seem to remember something about having to report a change of 5% or more of your TAS. It was probably on one of the IFR exams but that was a LOOOOOONNNNGG time ago!! LOL Don't quote me on this but it seems to ring a bell! :)

Guest regular joe

Hi Dragon.

Check out your A.I.P. RAC 11.13 for NAT and RAC 12.1 for ATC. Keep in mind that on the NAT tracks and RVSM airspace there are large areas without radar coverage.

Hope this helps. :)

Guest regular joe

I guess I should have read your question a again.
The 5% is in reference to TAS specified in the IFR flight plan.
RAC 8.2.2

Thanks all of you, here is what I found.

RAC 8.2.1 MACH NUMBER

Clearances to turbojet aircraft equipped with a mach meter may include an appropriate mach number. If the mach number cannot be adhered to, ATC is to be informed when the clearance is issued. Once accepted, shall be adhered to within .01 MACH, unless ATC approval is obtained to make the change. if a temporary in mach number is necessary [ie turbulence] atc is to be notified as zoom as possible.

RAC 8.2.2 TRUE AIRSPEED

ATC is to be notified as soon as practicable of an intended change to the true airspeed [TAS] at the cruising level or altitude where the change intended is five percent or more of the true airspeed specified in the ifr flight plan or itinerary.

RAC 11.8.2.c DOMESTIC CLEARANCES – NATWESTBOUND TRAFFIC

Westbound turbojet aircraft which have preceded across the North Atlantic and have entered CDA shall maintain the last mach number assigned by ATC:

unless, approval is obtained from ATC to make a change, or
until the pilot receives an initial descent clearance approaching destination.

Robert: You were doing so well.. ;)
bcpilot: Thanks, I think it was a CPL Q, yeaaars ago.
rj: you are obviously no regular joe, thanks.
George: short and sweet, thanks.

dragon

Guest nudger

Well since everyone indicated it is in the AIP, I thought I thought I would mention what the CARs say since the AIP is not an enabled document...

Changes in the Flight Plan

602.76 (1) The pilot-in-command of an aircraft for which an IFR flight plan or an IFR flight itinerary has been filed shall follow the procedure set out in subsection (2) where the pilot-in-command intends to make any change in the plan or itinerary in respect of

(a) the cruising altitude or cruising flight level;

(B) the route of flight;

© the destination aerodrome;

(d) in the case of a flight plan, the true airspeed at the cruising altitude or cruising flight level, where the change intended is five per cent or more of the true airspeed specified in the IFR flight plan; or

(e) the Mach number, where the change intended is .01 or more of the Mach number that has been included in the air traffic control clearance.

(2) A pilot-in-command of an aircraft who intends to make any of the changes in the IFR flight plan or the IFR flight itinerary that are referred to in subsection (1) shall

(a) notify as soon as practicable an air traffic control unit or the responsible person, as the case may be, of the intended change; and

(B) where the flight is being conducted in controlled airspace, receive an air traffic control clearance before making the intended change.

Guest nudger

Since everyone mentioned where to find it in the AIP I thought I would mention where it is in the CARs since I don't think the AIP is an enabled document...

Changes in the Flight Plan
602.76 (1) The pilot-in-command of an aircraft for which an IFR flight plan or an IFR flight itinerary has been filed shall follow the procedure set out in subsection (2) where the pilot-in-command intends to make any change in the plan or itinerary in respect of

(a) the cruising altitude or cruising flight level;

(B) the route of flight;

© the destination aerodrome;

(d) in the case of a flight plan, the true airspeed at the cruising altitude or cruising flight level, where the change intended is five per cent or more of the true airspeed specified in the IFR flight plan; or

(e) the Mach number, where the change intended is .01 or more of the Mach number that has been included in the air traffic control clearance.

(2) A pilot-in-command of an aircraft who intends to make any of the changes in the IFR flight plan or the IFR flight itinerary that are referred to in subsection (1) shall

(a) notify as soon as practicable an air traffic control unit or the responsible person, as the case may be, of the intended change; and

(B) where the flight is being conducted in controlled airspace, receive an air traffic control clearance before making the intended change.

Archived