Blah, Blah, Blah

Guest saymach#

Guest saymach#

Still reinventing the wheel ...........

"Tim Morgan, WestJet's Senior Vice-President of Flight Operations, commented today: "We are pleased to announce this new initiative, one that will further enhance our position as the low cost and innovation leader in Canadian aviation. "

KFC has had winglets on the B727 for 5 years or longer ............

The blended winglets that I think WJ is looking ar are not a Boeing product - they are licenced from somebody else by Boeing. the KFC winglets are altogether different. The blended winglets are quite a bit more efficient but they are kind of heavy and you have to weigh the cost against the return - they are expensive. Hauling them around on short haul - hmm, I don't know but, on longer legs they probably pay off. Ask Stu. ;)

I'm definitely an apologist for WJ but you gotta compare apple to apples.

cheers

The blended winglets that I think WJ is looking at are not a Boeing product - they are licenced from somebody else by Boeing. the KFC winglets are altogether different. The blended winglets are quite a bit more efficient but they are kind of heavy and you have to weigh the cost against the return - they are expensive. Hauling them around on short haul - hmm, I don't know, but on longer legs they probably pay off. Ask Stu.

I'm definitely NOT an apologist for WJ but you gotta compare apple to apples.

cheers

Guest quietwing

The winglets at KFC are a part of a noise reduction program to make the aircraft Stage III noise compliant.

Guest saymach#

"The winglets at KFC are a part of a noise reduction program to make the aircraft Stage III noise compliant"

Correct Sir; but if memeory serves correctly, as an added feature they provide about 0.5% fuel savings as well.

Which on the 72 is nothing to sneeze at

Guest Snowshoes

Saymach#,

I used to fly Royal's 727 C-FRYS which was equipped with Valsan winglets. But along that mod came a rerigging of the inboard flaps which entailed a few additional degrees of extension even in clean config.

These mods produced shorter time to cruise altitude and less induced drag thereby reduced average fuel flow.

Are KFC 727s' inboard flaps modified as well? (If there is a restriction of not using flaps 40, than they are). Just curious...

Snowshoes

Guest quietwing

I believe the winglets at KFC are from Dugan Air. The inboard flaps are permanently drooped 2-3 degrees. If I remember correctly normal landing flap was 25 degrees which increased your chances of a greaser. There is a restriction not to use flaps 40 unless required for an emergency.

Archived