Its amazing to me.......

Sky High

That AC looks like it's about to go under as I sit here. As a member of the industry but not AC I would still be rather saddened to see it go under. It wouldn't do anyone any good.

I can foresee one of two things happening. First: ACPA and AC fail to come to some sort of agreement and the company goes into bankruptcy. In this case Jazz might remain solvent and pick up what pieces it could. WJ, Jetsgo and the other LCC would certainly pick up some of the pieces too but not one of those companies could step up and fill in for AC totally or even together. They cannot expand that fast period. That would leave an awful lot of pieces lying around in turmoil.

Second: If ACPA and management do come to terms, it's pretty apparent that the airline will look nothing like it did before. Between layoffs, wage cuts and other concessions they are going to have one heck of a big group of unhappy people there. In some ways this might even be worse. There will still be the 2 pilot groups fighting over who can fly what where. At this time even I can see that theres a lot of bridges here that are burned and will never be fixed. What better scenario for the company to have in the future than 2 groups of pilots to play off against each other when they want something.

The era of the full service high-cost airline is going the way of the dodo and the future of air travel in Canada will be determined by what happens to AC over the next little while.

Personally, even though I work for another airline I would rather not see AC go under. Sure it would mean a lot more business for my company but it would create havoc throughout the country.

Archived