Unions aren't ones with head in sand

Guest Skirt

Guest Skirt

While the papers, thanks to Milton, would like everyone to believe they were not willing to move, the truth is far from that. ACPA issued a counter offer that would see an imediate 22% pay cut as well as immediate negotiations to agree to productivity increases. All they were asking for was that all other union groups and management had to take an equivalent reduction in pay & there would be no CCAA filing during this 48 week period. Far whatever reason Milton said no to the management cuts! Don't go placing blame until all info is made available.

I put this issue to someone close to the situation who said management is/will take a cut, but that middle manager - of whom he is one - expect ALL other groups to be part of it. So the bottom line seemed to be no one was going to sign on to something until all sign on. And since CUPE and CAW weren't ready for that kind of hard decisions, no deal was struck.

Again, this is water under the bridge. You can bet that whatever numbers were on the table two nights ago are on the table today.

The issue for all unions, management and creditors is, Are you going to fish and cut bait?

Guest ex-SkyGeek

Not that it matters what I think, but I don't cast the blame on the unions. I know from experience just how much they are willing to cooperate to save a company. But if the union isn't 100% on side with the Company demands you look like demons to the rest of the world because the media publishes the one-sided story they are made aware of.

In Canada 3000's final days I never understood why it wasn't made public just how far the unions were willing to go to save the Company. Little known fact, the Royal f/a component agreed in the final hours to allow Canada 3000 to lay off their entire membership. Yep, the entire membership. Did that ever make the media? No, because no one made them aware of these important facts. Management looks like the poor souls who are trying everything in their powers to save the Company, while the employees look greedy, oblivious to the serious nature of the negotiations, and unwilling to cooperate.

Union briefings to the media often lack important detail that could make a world of difference in gaining public support, but more importantly their understanding.

Or so I think.

Good luck to everyone in the Air Canada family. I for one am rooting for a triumphant return to profitability after the restructuring of the airline, so that many of my friends and people I care about at Air Canada, some of whom are my former colleagues, don't end up going through what all of us at Canada 3000 did. It is a horrible reality when you fax out in excess of 300 resumes over 6 months for jobs you feel you have the experience and qualifications for, yet you are not even granted an interview. I don't wish that on my worst enemy.

Let the media know the details surrounding what you are trying to do to help the Company survive and restructure! Why hold back details? To say "due diligence" is not enough. Elaborate. Tell them about the 22% pay cuts and the negotiations to agree to productivity increases.

IMO,

Jason

Guest propwash

The boss always knows, months in advance, where the financial situation of his company is going. Never forget that. While the company is going down, the boss is getting his money out, quietly. Never forget that.

CCAA is exactly ‘the little pompous’ Milton’s plan. It will get him clear of years of poor management.

To suggest that someone is removing their money from the company, i.e. selling shares and not reporting it as insider trading, is to allege the commission of a crime. If you do not have proof that Milton has been "cashing out", you had better watch yourself. At the very least, you might be in violation of this board's rules of behavior.

Archived