Talk about a desperate situation

dagger

"Hong Kong's airport authority said 195 flights, or 37 percent of those scheduled, were canceled on Sunday. Passenger numbers at the airport have fallen more than 60 percent in recent days."

I'm not asking for anyone to point out a silver cloud. But if someone even knows where the bottom is, I'd appreciate it being pointed out to me.

neo

Guest flyersclub

this is great news, but i also saw an interesting analysis of sars on the tv yesterday ... this expert said that sars is here to stay. even with the appropriate quarantines under way in canada, we will still keep getting infected persons as the situation is out of control in asia. he said now it will be up to all our health care system to manage sars until a cure or vaccination is found. i am still unclear who is at the most risk for death, i guess the usual persons .. elderly and very young and those with immune system diseases. i think that a vaccination takes quite some time to formulate, over a year i heard.

Guest CabinDweller

I’ve observed that there is a cultural aspect to the info floating around. What’s amazing is in this day and age with the world at one’s fingertips (well, in most Countries) people still subscribe to rumour and innuendo.

I can tell you that many hospitals here in YYZ remain in full Code Orange. This is our “external disaster” mode, which among other things gives administration the ability to double up peoples shifts, keep non-essential staff at home, suspend all ongoing in-house projects, etc…
All vacations have been cancelled until at least May 2nd. Although restrictions will begin to lighten up starting this week, it will remain week-to-week, day-by-day until mid May the earliest.

Things are under control and recent cases accounted for in Toronto. Although they shy away from declarative statements, the WHO will be the least biased source of info for the growing situation overseas. Also worth perusing the CDC site.

DL

Guest M. McRae

The inpact on the travel industry will continue for some time. News in Europe, when reporting about SAR, points out that after China, Canada has the highest number of reported cases in the world. I imagine that tidbit of information will have a negative influence on tourist traffic from Europe this summer.

Guest b52er

Sounds to me like their at least being fiscally responsible, unlike one particular airline I know of. That airline would chose to continue operating just like nothing else matters except pushing empty tin through the air at the expense of others.

Guest b52er

Apparantly, you know even less about the low cost model than you foolishly display here on a regular basis. You poor.....poor soul, do you even realize how little load factor WJ requires to so much as break even? I though not! Have an expensive, costly day!

Archived