Jazz Rumours

Guest the boy

Guest the boy

Lots of talk (second or third hand of course) around the crew rooms that people have seen base closures in black and white in our near future. Specifically London, Quebec and Victoria are due for the axe. Also an announcement coming up on Monday as to some more restructuring. On the flip side, possible good news is highlighting our pilot contract to management and pointing out the economic advantages that it affords for growth (we're talking millions in savings for the company). May God be with us. BRACE BRACE

Believe or NOT.....a new reduction bid is apparently in the works for issue in apx 5-7 days. The numbers are very significant and reflect the closure of YQB base as well as all YTZ traffic.

Guest Flameout

You know, it's really sad and disheartening when we, as employees, have to sit back and watch the union (made up of volunteers) point out the economic advantages to a particular collective agreement to management. Drawing a road map to save millions. I thought management were the ones with university degrees - maybe even business degrees. Why are we doing their job for them? It's becoming more and more obvious we don't need them. Now we have employees telling management how to manage.

Here you go Joe, square peg goes in square hole, round peg goes in round hole.....good boy.

By the way Joe, how was Cancun? (if you're even back yet)

I find this all hilarious. Everyone seems to think Air Canada just lets Joe Randall do his own thing. Lose $90 million last year Joe, no problemo, why not lose $120 million this year.

Come on guys. Stop living in Fantasy Land. As of April 1, Jazz is power by the hour. It will fly exactly where AC wants it to fly for a fixed block hour rate. Joe's team has to rightsize Jazz, and position staff, to meet Air Canada's schedule, nothing more, nothing less. If you know anything about Air Canada, it's that the summer or winter schedule changes many times before it becomes more or less final. It may be a weakness or AC, or a strength, probably the former, but they rearrange the deck chairs a lot.

So before deciding Joe is clueless, maybe you had better consider the role of AC marketing, because they pretty much decide now how big Jazz has to be, where it flies, when, and with which aircraft.

Guest Propalong

So, can someone tell me again, why are we a seperate company? I quote "maybe you had better consider the role of AC marketing, because they pretty much decide now how big Jazz has to be, where it flies, when, and with which aircraft." Seems as though we are wasting a lot of money having redundant management.

I believe that's why some management downsizing is under way. The marketing and sales management is disappearing. This kind of power by the hour relationship is increasingly typical between a regional carrier and a mainline, whether the regional is owned outright by the mainline, or completely independent. The ownership relationship isn't that important. It's the power-by-the-hour contract and all that flows from it in terms of route and aircraft assignments.

>>It may be a weakness or AC, or a strength, probably the former, but they rearrange the deck chairs a lot.<<

After being with this airline through the years that the plan never changed whether it was working or not I kinda like the idea of being able to move the deck chairs about when a different arrangement seems like a better idea. I just have to see it as a strength. :)

As far as JAZZ is concerned I hope you guys get some good news soon. You're due.

Guest The Gapper

Dagger, if the CPA doesn't start till april then what accounted for the poor decision making of the last 2 years, We all know AC management is into to everything but do they really involve themselves in the day to day decisions? Who made the decision to park the 146 out west for 2 months and retrain the guys then suddenly decide to operate it again and retrain them again? Who makes the decision to ram the RJ program through and have hundreds of pilots sitting on reserve on the F28 and Rj doing nothing? Who makes the the decision to install HUD's in the RJ's at a time when we are losing money hand over fist? (the pilot's aren't CATII qualified nevermind CATIII) Who signed the pilot contract and then claimed ignorance when they were asked to follow it? (the headset issue came from their proposal via the airbc contract that they wanted to use vs the AO one.After 9/11, a headset was the least of our concerns but they offered)

Dagger if now all they have to worry about is efficiency and OTP then who makes the decision to switch a/c and crew almost every leg? Who builds pairings were we fly 8 hrs one day and 42 mins the next day? Who decides to use the only a/c without life jackets, out of 10 sitting on the ramp, to do the run that that if you don't have them you add another 20 minutes to the flight(I don't think there's a requirement for life jackets in Val D'OR?) We continue to point these things out (3 legs in advance I might add?) but no one is responsible

Rant over

Guest The Gapper

Dagger, if the CPA doesn't start till april then what accounted for the poor decision making of the last 2 years, We all know AC management is into to everything but do they really involve themselves in the day to day decisions? Who made the decision to park the 146 out west for 2 months and retrain the guys then suddenly decide to operate it again and retrain them again? Who makes the decision to ram the RJ program through and have hundreds of pilots sitting on reserve on the F28 and Rj doing nothing? Who makes the the decision to install HUD's in the RJ's at a time when we are losing money hand over fist? (the pilot's aren't CATII qualified nevermind CATIII) Who signed the pilot contract and then claimed ignorance when they were asked to follow it? (the headset issue came from their proposal via the airbc contract that they wanted to use vs the AO one.After 9/11, a headset was the least of our concerns but they offered)

Dagger if now all they have to worry about is efficiency and OTP then who makes the decision to switch a/c and crew almost every leg? Who builds pairings were we fly 8 hrs one day and 42 mins the next day? Who decides to use the only a/c without life jackets, out of 10 sitting on the ramp, to do the run that that if you don't have them you add another 20 minutes to the flight(I don't think there's a requirement for life jackets in Val D'OR?) We continue to point these things out (3 legs in advance I might add?) but no one is responsible

Rant over

Guest ah crap

It's more than power by the hour, aka sched before safety. There's too much picking of the mysterious money tree in Halifax. How can we stop losing soo much money? Just as others have posted, get rid of management. Better yet, separate us again. We saw the latest employee news posted this week, complete with Joe's version of the Q & A sessions and HIS updated Jazz visions. It's too simple. What the man wants is an all RJ fleet and he keeps bringing up the topic of scope and getting AC's RJ's. We just cannot keep trying to do our best for this company when right at the top our brass has their heads shoved up......!

Here's an honest question Dagger

According to the same folks that attributed an 88 M loss to Jazz last year, the three year (sinse the merge) performance is a net loss of 40 M on 3.5B revenue vs a mainline loss of 1.8B on the 27B revenue (mainline loss 6 times worse). Clearly the majority of Jazz lack of performance is a result of transfer of capacity to the mainline. Equally the outrageous lack of performance of mainline domesticalty is due to the same. In 2002 domestic traffic didn't decrease as AC as Jazz management would like to say. Infact it was transfered to the mainline stable with the resultant catasrophic loss. Jazz was left holding the bag of a 30 % loss of work and the resultant employee excess, which the hatchet man is recieving copious amounts of work in an effort to correct. All to the benefit of the high cost labour. It would seem that AC has chosen the tried and true 'kill the littleguy' approach at the ultimate expense of itself.

Things are going to have to change in a LARGE way or AC will be history.

Archived