I'm beginning to change my mind about Airbus

Mitch Cronin

Two recent events have me really wondering about the fragility of the machines from Toulouse....

One aircraft that hit the deck a little hard had to go for a gear change for kripe sakes!... and then, another just recently flew through some turbulence on the way down and it hit the panic buttons itself! ACARS call to MOC to squawk about a tiny little excursion into negative g for an extremely brief period (we're talking much less than minus one g here folks!) causing an immediate trip to the hangar for extensive inspections....

What are these Euro-folk building nowadays? Are they airplanes, or are they overgrown bone-china trinkets with wings?

Damn! huh.gif ...look what they've done to me... I'm actually sounding like a Boeing lover now! blink.gif

....I am looking forward to playing with them!

I haven't had the triple seven course yet, and I'm not even sure I'll ever get it, but I will be getting to know them fairly well regardless... So far, I only know that I've heard they're very good airplanes... Sounds like they've got the body of a Boeing, with the brains of an Embraer... or something?

In my world a good airplane is one that can take what's thrown at it in the real world, without routine breakage because of it; and one that can be fixed when it does break, with relative ease, because it's well designed, well planned, and well built. ... all with the KISS principle in mind, of course. I'll see how I think the 777 measures up to that. unsure.giflaugh.gif ... yep, can't wait! biggrin.gif

(That should explain why I dislike the A380)

Cheers, wink.gif

Mitch

Could this be it?

The Airbus A340-313 airplane, registration C-GDVZ, operating as Air Canada flight 002, had a hard landing on arrival at Toronto. The operator carried out an inspection in accordance with the maintenance manual, one step of which requires data analysis by the manufacturer. No damage was found on the airplane. The manufacturer recommended that both main landing gear be removed for inspection by the component manufacturer. Further information was obtained from the crew and from the FDR. The pilot-flying was on line indoctrination. Nothing abnormal was noted during the approach. Surface wind was quartering from the right at 12 knots with gusts to 25 knots. About five seconds before touchdown, there appeared to be a negative-performance change in wind contributing to a higher-than-normal rate of descent at touchdown. There were no reports of overhead baggage bins opening, and there were no issues with respect to control of the airplane at touchdown.

....I am looking forward to playing with them!

I haven't had the triple seven course yet, and I'm not even sure I'll ever get it, but I will be getting to know them fairly well regardless... So far, I only know that I've heard they're very good airplanes... Sounds like they've got the body of a Boeing, with the brains of an Embraer... or something?

In my world a good airplane is one that can take what's thrown at it in the real world, without routine breakage because of it; and one that can be fixed when it does break, with relative ease, because it's well designed, well planned, and well built. ... all with the KISS principle in mind, of course. I'll see how I think the 777 measures up to that. unsure.giflaugh.gif ... yep, can't wait! biggrin.gif

(That should explain why I dislike the A380)

Cheers, wink.gif

Mitch

Mitch,

having worked the triple7 many times myself on the contract crew when I was in YYZ, I can assure you that if you like the 767, then you will love the 777.

Two recent events have me really wondering about the fragility of the machines from Toulouse....

One aircraft that hit the deck a little hard had to go for a gear change for kripe sakes!... and then, another just recently flew through some turbulence on the way down and it hit the panic buttons itself! ACARS call to MOC to squawk about a tiny little excursion into negative g for an extremely brief period (we're talking much less than minus one g here folks!) causing an immediate trip to the hangar for extensive inspections....

What are these Euro-folk building nowadays? Are they airplanes, or are they overgrown bone-china trinkets with wings?

Damn! huh.gif ...look what they've done to me... I'm actually sounding like a Boeing lover now! blink.gif

Hi Mitch,

This may be of interest re Airbus gear failures:

http://www.caa.hu/kozlemenyek/easa_ead_2006_0069_E.pdf

And what is the cabin floor constructed of? When even a lightweight F/A walks by you can feel the passenger seats move due to the floor flexing!

Best wishes to you and thanks for your much appreciated work.

Archived