For longkeel

Kip Powick

Guest long keel

ouch!!! laugh.gif

It'll still take years more training to get my expanding gut to catch up with that dude.

Still looking at the bike thing but right now its 50/50 if we buy mostly due to the outrageous insurance. 800 in Ontario vs. 200-300 if we lived in Quebec or BC.

Look around for insurance. My Honda Elite is $120.00 a year. Bear in mind my house, three cars and the two boats are all through the same company ...and there is an age discount.....There are still some companies out there that will decrease the insurance rate if the machine is not driven in the winter months...(of course winter really hasn't hit ON yet laugh.gif )

.... Still looking at the bike thing but right now its 50/50 if we buy mostly due to the outrageous insurance. 800 in Ontario vs. 200-300 if we lived in Quebec or BC.

Yep, keep lookin' dude. Rates vary. I believe Kingsway gets the CMA nod of approval (could stand corrected on that), they're about 5 bills for a 500cc twin, and a buddy pays a tad more for a Sportster. I doubt you'll find Kip's premium, tho'; he got a "Smallville" rate methinks wink.gif (BTW, which company still gives the winter rebate?)

Cheers, IFG beer_mug.gif

Guest rattler
Yep, keep lookin' dude. Rates vary. I believe Kingsway gets the CMA nod of approval (could stand corrected on that), they're about 5 bills for a 500cc twin, and a buddy pays a tad more for a Sportster. I doubt you'll find Kip's premium, tho'; he got a "Smallville" rate methinks wink.gif (BTW, which company still gives the winter rebate?)

Cheers, IFG beer_mug.gif

Kip got a Scooter Rate.........

I think that is what longkeel is looking for, at least initially, he was talking scooters....I think...

I'm assuming so ( long keel's "scooter" thread ). However, I believe they're all motorcycles to the insurance companies, but with rates going up depending on engine size. That would certainly put scooters at the lower end, so with the larger bike rates I'm familiar with, I sure think he can do better than $800/yr. Just not optimistic he'll match yours, Kip, with a city address - But if you do, long keel, please let us all know!

Cheers, IFG beer_mug.gif

Guest long keel

Best rate so far $685.00.

Big hassle is the graduated licence issue. M2 licence you need for 22 months before you can get a full M. The biggest insurance hassle is the Ontario government expects insurance companies to pay the medical costs of injured riders even though we all pay up to $900 per year in medical insurance to the province. Basically in Ontario the state health care is raiding the vehicle insurance company for payback on your injuries.

Now...since you are more likely to be hurt in an accident on a scooter/motorcycle then in a car/SUV the rates are obscenely higher. Even guys at the bike shops riding 20+ years say they would pay half in another province or in almost any state. When doing the quote, we had only fire/theft, no collision, and 1 million personal liability. Stripped of the medical liability the same quote dropped to $180. Over $600 for essentially a health premium to ride. Anything below 600cc the rates didn't vary much. We are looking at a 125-150cc scooters. (Kymko, Yamaha, Vespa.)

It pisses me off that Dalton M. added $900 to my taxes to pay for my health care, but if I choose to drive a scooter 6 months of the year I pay an extra $600 for the same health system. No wonder Ontario has more smog days than the rest of the country when I can insure an old gas guzzler for less than a 4-stroke 2 wheeler that gets 85 mpg. Plus I can drive the gas guzzler 12 months per year. This province is a joke when they preach Kyoto. There is no incentive in Ontario to switch from cars other than in Toronto. It now offers free parking on the streets to all motorcycles or scooters.

We are still undecided whether or not we will buy one instead of a second car. blink.gif

Archived