Toronto Real Estate Info

Mitch Cronin

Guest rattler

Toronto beat Calgary?  ohmy.gif  blink.gif  laugh.gif

hahaaaa.... suckers!  tongue.gif  biggrin.gif

In actual fact they did not beat YYC (Calgary and Toronto are in a six-way tie for fifth place with Zurich and three Australian cities.)

Still surprised that YUL did not make it in the top 10 but very surprised that 3 Canadian cities were in the top 10. YUL did well also, just not in the top 10. So out of 127 cities around the world, 4 Canadian cities were in the top 20 (Calgary and Toronto are in a six-way tie for fifth place with Zurich and three Australian cities.)

Montreal is in a four-way tie for 16th place with Paris, Hamburg and Tokyo.

No U.S. city is in the top 25.

. Damn good eh! Just goes to show how good we have it and how much we have to protect.

Re our neighbour to the south:

Pittsburgh Tribune Review

A new survey puts Pittsburgh and Cleveland at the top of the most livable cities in the United States, but as far as the world goes, Vancouver in Canada is tops. The study, by The Economist Intelligence Unit, assesses the "liveability" of 127 cities worldwide. It shows cities in Canada, Australia, Austria and Switzerland are the most ideal destinations based on such factors as availability of goods and services, low personal risk and effective infrastructure. According to a news release, Cleveland and Pittsburgh are the joint best-scoring cities in the United States, sharing 26th place in the global ranking. "In the current global political climate, it is no surprise that the most desirable destinations are those with a lower perceived threat of terrorism," said Jon Copestake, editor of the report. The study assessed nearly 40 indicators grouped in five categories: stability, health care, culture and environment, education and infrastructure.

Guest rattler

YYC I/C

The murder rate and crime rate in Calgary is far worse than in Toronto

Do you have a link to support your comment. Not that I am doubting you.... laugh.gif

Except in 1985, the three Prairie provinces have consistently reported homicide rates above the Canadian national average. While all three provinces reported higher rates than the rest of Canada in 2003, Alberta (at 2.00 per 100,000 population) was lower than the previous year. On the other hand, Manitoba and Saskatchewan reported increases in their homicide rates. The number of homicides in Saskatchewan increased from 27 in 2002 to 41 in 2003, resulting in the highest rate (4.12) among the provinces and its highest rate since 1977 (see the Appendix).

During 1961-2003, there was a general trend upwards in the homicide rate in the Prairies (see Figure 2). However, the trend was significantly reversed over the 1975-2003 period (see Figure 3).

Complete Report

Crime rates in major cities

Crime Rates by Province 2004

Accoring to this report: In 2004 YYZ's crime rate was 1.8 vs YYC at 1.9 per 100,000 population with YWG, YEG, YUL AND YVR all being higher than either YYC or YYZ.

W5, how much bigger is Toronto's population than Calgary's.

I live in Calgary and I enjoy the city. I'm just tired of Calgarians always shitt%$& on Toronto with mis-informed facts. Actually, many western Canadians suffer from this inferiority complex.

I lived in downtown TO (Front and Jarvis) for over 3 years and never experienced any of the so called violence and crime so many like to talk about.

I sure have, I drive the 401 everyday biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Archived