D. Ritchie, how dare you!?

What gives you the right to deny us our right to vote on an issue so tremendously important that our careers, our very livelihoods, the fortunes of our families, the well being of our children... are on the line?

This isn't about you. It's not about your political situation within the IAM, nor your internal squabbles, nor your personal conflicts.... this is about whether or not the IAM members at Air Canada are allowed to do anything at all toward protecting their own futures.

This is not the kind of issue or circumstance that unions face every day and have a standard MO for, and neither is it an issue that union executives should have the ability to decide without a clear mandate from their membership.

Jean Jallet, for whatever reason, gave us the pencils with which we could vote, you locked the ballot box... What gives you that right?

I'm sincere when I tell you that I take that personally, and I promise you that if we find ourselves out of work as a result, if there's any chance of legal action, I will be pursuing it. You can't possibly pretend you represent a democratic organization while stripping of us this most essential and most basic right.

I remain, Mr. Ritchie,

Your entrapped union member, and thoroughly disgusted.

Mitch Cronin

Air Canada LAT, YYZ

Archived