XM Radio ??

Kip Powick

Satellite radio! By golly, what will they think of next? I'm surprised that they didn't consider using something really sophisticated like we use in aviation: HF.

Have they thought of a way to prevent hackers, particularly those in other countries adjacent to the service, like say Mexico, from cracking the signal and avoiding the fees? Much as goes on with satellite TV?

No, not in Canada, the range of the Sats is pretty good. One individual says he gets reception right across the lower part of Canada. If you search around there are maps with the "footprints" of the two Sats rand and orbits and Ont/PQ is pretty much covered, (good reception) One can not "register" in Canada but one could "purchase" the equipment down south and have a "friend" register for you.

Not sure if Canada will put one on a Sat or not ..... because of the Canadian Content Laws.

Thinking of having a friend purchase/register and putting it in the boat.

Here is an interesting article from Car & Driver regarding Satellite Radio. GM wants everybody to have it and I see that Honda is offering it on their vehicles as well.

Cheers.

"XM wants $9.99 every month to beam satellite radio into my car. Ha! Sirius jumps the price to $12.95. Not in this lifetime, I say."

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=27&article_id=7014&page_number=1

Here are two interesting articles from Car & Driver regarding Satellite Radio. GM wants everybody to have it and I see that Honda is offering it on their vehicles as well.

Cheers.

"XM wants $9.99 every month to beam satellite radio into my car. Ha! Sirius jumps the price to $12.95. Not in this lifetime, I say."

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=27&article_id=7014&page_number=1

www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=2384&page_number=1

Guest Ram_Man

An all Canadian system is expected to roll out within the next year or so. Of course content will will be controlled by none other than..... the CRTC :( :@

Archived