YXD

Guest AME

edmonton news

Friday, Oct 03, 2003 Email this to a friend

print this page

Edmonton airport catches extra passengers

EDMONTON (CBC) - The Edmonton Airport Authority has wrestled a concession from an airline it has been battling for years.

Quikair admits it has been sneaking extra passengers onto its flights to Calgary.

Flights out of the downtown airport are supposed to have no more than ten passengers on them and Quikair has now agreed to compensate the airport authority an undisclosed amount of money.

Scott Clements is the president and CEO of Edmonton Airports and says the downtown airport is only for smaller operations.

"This was vital that our authority to make restrictions was upheld in court or settled out of court," he said. "I mean, without that, what would keep Westjet and Air Canada from saying we're coming back downtown?"

Clements says the ten passenger cap was approved by Edmontonians in a plebiscite in 1995.

-----------------------------------------

I wonder how Edmontonians would vote now if given the chance??? after all it took a couple of plebiscites to get them to vote the way the politicians wanted :(

Brett

Guest PortTack

You have that right!

I have forgotten the name of the Crooked Mayor who had her family's land around Leduc, anyway, wasn't that the person who pushed through so many re-votes?

Actually, I think mayor bill had just taken over from mayor jan at the time of the last vote, however by that time the outcome was envitable (sp) I believe that had AC and CDN fought the issue, we'd still be there.

But oh well, life goes on and a few select people are a lot richer :(

Brett

Archived