question for computer types

Guest smiles

Guest smiles

I have recently encountered a problem with my home computer. When I start it up, it will only start in "safe mode". It seems that no matter what I do, it defaults to safe mode. I've had it happen before when it hasn't been shut down properly, but rebooting or restarting the computer has rectified the problem. This time, no such luck. Anyone know how to fix this? Or could this be the result of one of those viruses floating around (I do have a virus scanner which indicates no problems, but I realize that some of them may be undetectable.) Would appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.

Guest Roadie

Does it not give you the option of booting in safe mode and starting windows normally? There is a worm out there currently which causes the computer to shut down and reboot repetively, however there is a fix for it from the windows support website and I have also seen a fix from shaw regarding it, if in doubt try to do a search. Hope this helps.

Guest smiles

I've attempted to reboot in safe mode. The options come up to select a number of different choices, including "normal" and "safe mode". However, even when I select "normal", the darn thing will still get itself up and running in safe mode. I'll take your advice and try a search, if I can get used to the weird look of my screen.

By the way, in response to JakeYYZ--I'm on Windows '98.

Thanks for the input! If any one else has any suggestions, I'm open to any--I'm a wee bit computer illiterate. (you may have noticed)

Guest smiles

Thank you. I'll try to figure out the steps and see if it works. If not,rest assured I'll be back on here begging for more help. I'll let you know.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Guest wetcoaster

I had this problem in conjunction with a Nortons failure to load message. I took off Nortons - replaced it with free AVG downloaded from the net and its worked fine since but I really doubt it had anything to do with what I did.

Archived