Nova -8 and the Northern Lights

Guest stick man

Guest stick man

I saw an interesting picture the other day of an Air Nova dash-8 leading a formation with the Northern Lights(I think?) who were flying Extras, I believe. (think they've since switched to some type of czech jet trainer (L-39?), if they're even still around)

Anyway, was a cool pic and did not look as if it had been doctored.

Anyone have the story?

Guest The Clumsy Lover

Not that I was there or anything but If I was there I would tell you it was at the Quebec city airshow a few years ago while the aircraft was flown up from a city on the east coast for a static demonstaration as well as dreams take flights runs. A crew from YQB was doing the flight at the time ...they were doing flights for the dreams take flights program at the same time the northern lights were waiting for their slot at the airshow... A great photo opportunity was taken... Great shot. Great Day

Clumsy

Guest stick man

No, sorry, I wish it was. It was taped to a rampie's locker in YYJ. Looked like it had been cut out of a newspaper.

Guest The Clumsy Lover

Used to be able to find it on Ailrliners.net. It is a real picture from the quebec airshow about 5 years ago. A YQB based crew was flying it for the dreams take flight program when they were joined for a flyby. The AC came from YHZ that morning..

Clumsy

Guest Marion Vanderlubbe

Northern Lights are flying Hawker Hunters; Lortie, Hamel, Sack and Tunes (Tunes might be heading back to the sandbox, could be a job opening).

Guest KingAir

Funny you should mention this. I actually saw this pic last night while searching through the airliners.net database. There are about 2 pics that I saw. Here's one of them...

I know about this picture...as I was the FA in the Dash-8....

It was during an airshow in YQB 2 years ago !!!! What a great feeling it was to be part of that unusual thing...being in a formation of 6 !!!!

Great souvenirs in my mind....

Have a nice day ;)

skies

Had to be more like 5 years or more, Lortie et al have been flying the Chech L-329's for at least 3-4 years. And what are those Hawker Hunters, Marion? When did they switch? Will they be performing in the YQB show this labour day? Now that I think of it, the YQB show is every 2 years, which means the photo whould be a 2001 (not) 1999 or 1997!Cheers.

Guest MikePapaKilo

They were L-39 Albatrosses, and to the best info I have, they're gone. The boys are now flying the Hunters in a contracted combat support role for the Canadian Forces. The Northern Lights emblem has also been seen on the west coast- YYJ - on a Lear35, for off-the coast work with f-18's. Don't know if this is owned or leased or what...

They were recently (around August 01) in YFC to play shoot'em up with the army at Gagetown.

No longer in the air show business - it doesn't pay.

Cheers,

MPK

Guest Marion Vanderlubbe

The Lear was from Phoenix, working with the boats doing ADEX, not with F-18s. It ate an elk at Astoria (ungulate strike?), destroyed, no one hurt.

Archived