Jazz shows a profit in June

Guest Hawkeye

Guest Hawkeye

The CEO of Jazz has confirmed that the AC Regional Airline in June, had made a profit, albeit small.

From the Globe and Mail:

It's Jazz unit - separated from the mainline carrier along with Tango, Zip and

Jetz - reported that RPM rose 3.5 per cent in the month. Load factor rose to

64.5 per cent from 56.7 a year ago"

At Air Canada, "The Montreal-based company said it's revenue passenger miles fell 17.5 per cent

in June from a month ago, while capacity - measured by load factor - fell to

76.7 per cent, from 76.9 per cent a year ago."

Jazz's performance and operational numbers, including the monthly traffic statistics, are

all trending upwards. This is welcoming news and has the potential to generate positive economic returns for our owners.

Hopfully we are turning the corner on this battered industry.

Guest Touchdown

I'm wondering...what amount of profit comes from the "ex" mainline routes..ie. BNA, MCI etc....Not trying to inflame, I'm just wondering, since transborder was a large chunk of the CARJ mainline. At least someone's turning a profit....here's hoping mainline turns the corner in the near future too....

Congrats...

Mr. T

Guest ah crap

I dont think this matters anymore. AC took away all the regional marketing and they decide our routes. You can bet GX would have never abandoned Toronto Island.

Hawkeye,

In the news release cited, there was an increase in load factor. There is nothing about profit. My understanding is that Jazz is compensated under a "capacity purchase" agreement. So does it really matter how many RPMs versus ASMs you fly? IMO, all that matters is how much Air Canada has paid you for the service provided. Come to think of it, has Jazz even been paid one cent since Air Canada filed for bankruptcy protection?

Now as far as Mr. T's question "what amount of profit came from the "ex" mainline routes..BNA, MCI etc...."?

Likely the answer is that Air Canada had the opportunity to fly these routes but was not successful in operating them profitably.

This may bode well for Jazz as the "cost effective national airline".

But, back to you, Hawkeye. The load factor at Jazz has increased. Where did you get the part about Jazz making a profit?

Maybe the industry is turning the corner. Good luck to all.

Archived