Why, oh why...

Guest leftbase

Guest leftbase

...is it always "about Toronto"?!

As I sit here temporarily in TO, with the heat, the humidity, the worst smog warnings to date this summer, pining for the mountains, the ocean, the windsurfer...I had the opportunity to view my beloved Vancouver win their bid for the 2010 Olympics, from the perspective of the local media. I was a little taken aback by the sheer negativity, apparently this is to be bemoaned as a loss for Toronto rather than the exciting opportunity it actually is for Canada. Since this forum seems to be well-represented by those who call the GTA home, I thought I would cut 'n paste a letter to the editor that summed it up best for me...

National Post

Saturday, July 5, 2003

Riding the subway to work the other day, I noticed the headline of the Metro: Vancouver's win is Toronto's loss. How it was deemed that such a regional angle was more worthy than celebrating a successful bid, is beyond me.

So there won't be summer games in Toronto for a while. So what? We were going to be competing against New York, London, Paris, and Moscow for 2012 anyway. I was pumping my fists and grinning like an idiot when Vancouver won. I searched for every video clip I could find, relishing the explosion of joy over and over. Why is it necessary to try and rain on such a great parade as this one? I was ashamed to be a Torontonian...again.

I am happy, and downright proud, to kick in some of my federal tax dollars to ensure the Vancouver games will be the best ever. I'm also glad there are going to be watchdog groups like the transformed No Games organization to insure that the money coming in is obtained, and spent, properly.

Vancouver is going to set a new positive benchmark for the Olympics, and as a Canadian I want to help make it happen. Everyone, go clean your room, we've got company coming!

Oh, by the way, does anyone in Vancouver have a couch I can crash on in about seven years?

-Jon Vokins, Toronto

©National Post 2003

Guest LoginName

Isn't 'Toronto the bad' vs 'everyone other wonderful community in Canada' getting a bit old and tired.

Guest V1V2Vgo

You bet, congrats to YVR! They deserve the bid, and the support of all Canadians. When the Blue Jays won, we all cheered.

The venue should be second to none, sure hope it snows. One can only hope that the politicians in the west behave, between now and then,... stay out of jail, do NOT drive drunk, don't date your secretary, build your own deck, etc., etc., etc........

Guest leftbase

Oh c'mon, can't handle anyone proud of their home? "Toronto-the-persecuted" is also pretty old and tired, but my point was more that "Toronto-is-the-only-place-that-matters" is REALLY tired!

My post was meant to be pretty light, in the spirit of friendly rivalry. Heck some of my best friends live in TO...have a great weekend!

Archived