I'm one mad cow

Guest rance

Guest rance

So the federal government was able to come up with a financial aid package for the the beef industry as a result of the financial impact due to mad cow disease (which I have no problem with).

My problem is where was the government with a financial aid package for the airline industry when we faced (and still do) an even greater financial lose as a result of 9/11 and sars?

If I was a cattle rancher in Alberta I would thank my lucky stars that the minister of agriculture is not David Collenette.Instead of financial aid, his solution to the problem would be to impose a $24 surtax on all beef products to help offset the costs of mad cow screening.

What a joke and what a bunch of hypocrites.

O.k, i'm done my rant...mooooooooooo!!

I understand your rant, but to be fair you must take into account the one time payouts that were given to each airline shortly after September 11.

If I remember correctly, the airline I work for received in the neighbourhood of 750k for the shutdown in the days after 9/11. These were based on the size of your fleet and type of operation and I thought a little under a million was quite a bit considering I don't work for AC, WJ, or SSV.

Guest rance

My problem was that the industry was down, there was no need to kick it more with a $24 security surtax.

But that's old news, i'm ready to move on.

Archived