ATC Threatens Strike

Guest james

Guest james

If no agreement by Friday, June 6, ATC

members will be in a strike position.

Just what everybody needs.

Guest av8tr

A few years ago when it looked like the AC pilots were going to strike again, the government threatened to declare us an essential service thereby removing our right to strike. Do you not think that they would move to do the same thing to the good folks at ATC especially given the current times we are in? (Just a thought)

I think you'll find that it's not essential service, but, maintenance of service , which means you have to go to court and determine if the withdrawal of service represents a danger to the public, and, if so deemed you must supply a min of people required to maintain service. They usually play this trump card just before you're in a legal strike position

ACR maint was about to challenge this the first week in Sept 2001, but we know what happened then and the whole thing was dropped when our union determined we wouldn't mind bending over a barrel :(

Guest b52er

Perhaps it would be a good thing if strike action were to occur. Then.......AC wouldn't have anything to squabble about and Nav Canada wouldn't have to provide their services for free!

Guest Mike Sowsun

As I recall when Transport Canada ran the ATC system, controllers did not have the right to strike.

Has that changed?

On 680 News this am on my way to work I heard them say "Air Canada air traffic controllers may strike" Thinking I may have misunderstood I listened 10 more minutes and heard them say it again!

Damn media...

Guest V1V2Vgo

Hey, I know, maybe ACPA should scope them while they are in the fold. Maybe mic's of 4 inches or less??!!

Did you contact them to correct their statement?

Are you sure it was 680news? (In Toronto?) I just looked at their page and didn't see anything about the story at all. www.680news.com

Maybe if a few hundred Air Canada employees call/email them about it they will be more careful in the future.

Archived