Unions

Guest FSS

Just a quick question, but it appears that there are several pilot unions, (if I'm wrong, I will hear about it), I guess may question is, how come you all don't have one union? Wouldn't give a hell of a lot of power as to your over all working conditions and benefits, in Canadian aviation?

Guest WA777

Yes that is true....but unfortunately there is a long history of turf war and proportional representation.....

Guest Eventer

The Piloting profession could be just like that of the doctors and lawers, a self governing, honourable profession, with strict rules and standards of conduct, and where all pilots treat each other with courtesy and perhaps even a little bit of chivalry.

Unfortunately, the petty, mean-spirited turf war, which pre-dates my airline carreer, has so poisoned the atmosphere, that trying to fix the problem is akin to trying to put the egg back in the shell.

Here are just a few examples...:I especially like the part when I walk by a fellow pilot and he can't be bothered to return a friendly greeting when you walk by him in the terminal. I also like it when the big Airbusses and 767's shine their taxi lights in my eyes while taxiing by my aircraft at dusk or at night, instead of following rules of common courtesy and good airmanship, or when my read-back to an ATC clearance gets stepped all over because the person in question believes that he is the only person using the airwaves. These things are all symptomatic of a much broader problem.

The point is, that it doesn't have to be that way. We all look the same, dress the same and do the same job. Unfortunately, the elitist attitude of many continues to perpetuate a rift that is difficult to bridge.

As I Jazz pilot, I too was somewhat relieved by the glimmer of hope that I heared on the weekend, although I'm not naive enough to think that it's a done deal and in fact I fully expect that the ACPA MEC is doing its darnedest to make sure that Joe's Regional Jet plan never sees the light of day. I'm certainly not dumb enough to gloat!!

This entire situation reminds me of one of Aesop's Fables about the Lion and the Goat:...

It was a hot day. Lion and Goat were both thirsty, but the pool was small. Goat bent his head to drink, when Lion came up beside him and growled fiercely. "I shall drink first," he said "I am king of all the animals, and it is my right. Get out of my way!" "No," said Goat, "I shall drink first. I found the water. You can wait until I'm finished." "You'll drink it all up," said Lion. "There's not very much left, and I am nearly dead with thirst." "And I haven't had a drop all day," answered Goat. So they quarreled. Lion chased Goat to the top of a great rock, and, hot as he was Goat bounded out of the way. Neither of them was able to drink in peace. Suddenly Lion stopped chasing Goat and looked up into the hot blue sky. Goat looked too. There, circling slowly above them, was Vulture. All the animals knew and feared him. He is the bird of death, who waits to pounce on the bodies of dead animals and eat their flesh. Lion and Goat knew, both at once, that if they did not stop fighting, they would die of thirst, and Vulture would pick their bodies to the bone. "If we go on quarrelling," said Lion, "We shall both die of thirst, and that will be the end of us. Go to the water and drink, but don't take it all!" Goat did as he was told, and the two animals quenched their thirst instead of fighting.

Morale...:When a common danger threatens, it is best to stop quarreling.

Perhaps if we could make peace, we could once again enjoy this Profession and maybe even rekindle the early feelings of why we all began flying in the first place! Consider this an olive branch.

Guest Sam of Old

So where is your olive branch? You simply perpetuated the problem by giving up what you perceive as intentional slights: as an example, I'm sure that many pilots of many airlines are stepped-on daily by those simply mis-timing there radio transmissions;maybe it is you who is self-absorbed and looking for problems. Instead of pointing out all the faults why not offer that branch?

I would also hazard a guess that if everything I'm reading about in these CCAA negotiations comes to fruition, you (Jazz) and AC will need more than good will. You will probably be lit up with the taxi light and the landing lights.

Archived