Why?

Guest RKM

I was just wondering why the government continues to pump money into organizations such as Seneca and Sault colleges when there is clearly no demand for pilots yet refuses to help AC? Would this money not be better spent elsewhere (like helping AC out so that there are jobs in the future)? Would it not make more sense to turn this training over to private sector, this would support the flight training aspect of aviation in this country as well (which is also hurting at the moment). The last thing this market needs at the moment it would seem are more pilots coming on stream.

Guest chiselcharter

Don't fool yourself there will be jobs, but with the costs involved to get a start it probably won't be worth it.

Guest rance

Mr. F;

Your first reason stated that every citizen should have an equal right to a career of their choosing regardless of their economic status. Could this not occur at a private flight school with a government student loan instead of a subsidised college program?

also is the wetern program at empire aviation government funded? and if it isn't, is that not an unfair subsidy for empire if seneca is getting government support.

UWO students must pay for the flying portion of their course which I think all flight programs should do.

"Secondly, the government will not discontinue funding of a program when the job market disappears. They don't open and close programs based on supply and demand of the marketplace because this would cause serious swings in the labour pool."

I hate to inform you Mr. F but yes they do, I know first hand because for the last year and a half I have been trying to take an aviation related course in the evenings. (Sheet metal repair and fabrication) It has been cancelled every semester at the last minute!

Most of the guys I knew that have gone through these heavily subsidize courses come from fairly well to do families who could well afford to pay the flight training costs.

UWO students must pay for the flying portion of their course so why do they not the same deal as Seneca and Sault, subsidize the ground portion but not the flying!

Guess maybe I’m just old fashioned, when I decided I wanted to become a pilot I did it the way I was raised, if you want something you work for it!

"Secondly, the government will not discontinue funding of a program when the job market disappears. They don't open and close programs based on supply and demand of the marketplace because this would cause serious swings in the labour pool."

I hate to inform you Mr. F but yes they do, I know first hand because for the last year and a half I have been trying to take an aviation related course (Sheet metal repair and fabrication. It has been cancelled every semester at the last minute! This course costs the college nothing compaired to the flight training courses and I have to pay material costs to boot!

Most of the guys I knew that have gone through these heavily subsidize courses come from fairly well to do families who could well afford to pay the flight training costs.

UWO students must pay for the flying portion of their course so why do they not get the same deal as Seneca and Sault, subsidize the ground portion but not the flying!

Guess maybe I’m just old fashioned, when I decided I wanted to become a pilot I did it the way I was raised, if you want something you work for it!

Guest The Gapper

Invest in your future. Subsidized flight training drives down starting wages. No one offers to fly for free when you got laon payments to make. I don't know how many guys who have gone through these programs when daddy makes six figures, taking away oppurtunities for those who can't afford it, so this subsidization doesn't often go to the right people. Do we give millionaires welfare? no, if there is going to be subsidization then it should be directed to those without economic support

THERE SHOULDN'T BE ANY AT ALL many other provinces don't and they still have a surplus of pilot's

Archived