Deep Thoughts

Guest Nail

Guest Nail

Boy, just when you thought things couldn't get any worse... It seems that there are about 9 or 10 different forces (all negative) coming at us from different directions. 9-11, terrorism, Iraq, Low Cost environments, SARS, BSE, more SARS, recessionary economies, finger-pointing management and hard-assed unions.

There is no question that this career has changed for the worse in many ways. Problem is, I still like my job. I see a genuine possibility of that ending. Reason? Too many unions making too many demands and wants that are based on old realities that unfortunately no longer apply. All are guilty, but in particular CAW and CUPE. Pension reductions are better than no pension. Pay cuts are better than unemployment. Layoffs at least offer the chance of coming back to the job later. There is no question (to anyone with a pulse) that the old way is dead.

I think we all have to realize that these ugly job condition changes are here. Period. New realities are here. Period. It is time to take the pain, move on and reprogram. If that involves looking to a new profession in the near future, fine. If it involves scaling back, fine. I have a file now with two off shore pilot job finders. The full "Big B" could be only weeks away, and looks more possible with every passing day. Threats from union leaders to "call the bluff" and demand no changes in certain areas (ie: pension) are totally avoiding the ugly realities of our predicament. Be careful of what you wish for.

If the full B happens, a Pheonix might arise from the ashes. "Might" being the operative word. Unions and contracts gone. Half wages? Little to no benefits? Pension moneys? Probably given back with minimal interest only. If you have better info on this, please jump in.

Sadly, if you were to ever shut down AC, now would be the time. Remember the injection Tango got from C3 shutting down? It was the tonic needed. We could be the tonic needed for others to suddenly be full with good profit outlooks domestically and internationally. Don't think it could happen? Remember all the others that have gone down. The list is long. Please avoid the arrogance of feeling you are untouchable here.

....Mom always said I should have been a Dentist... maybe I should have listened better!

Dave Rogers

67 Skip AC

Guest Dick Dastardly

Good question. Mitchnick was essentially thrown out but that is still how our list is arranged. Kellers list should be out in a couple of weeks.

Guest Max Continuous

>> ....Mom always said I should have been a Dentist... maybe I should have listened better! <<

Don't feel bad, my Mom used to tell me to put away the baseball glove and stop playing the guitar.

Last year:

Roger Clements - $42Million

Aerosmith - $38Million

Thanks Mom!! :(

Archived