air canada shares

Guest max340

Guest max340

hi is dagger there??????....would appreciate your thoughts on the value of the air canada shares......what are your thoughts regarding whether the company will cancel the old shares and issue new ones..it would seem to me that keeping the old shares active would be a disinsentive to new investors.....historically what normally happens in this type of CCAA...would appreciate your thoughts on this....cheers max340

Guest ex-SkyGeek

I believe Dagger mentioned in a recent thread to hold off as the current shares (historically) become worthless in bankruptcy situations like these. If Canada 3000 hadn't ceased operatioins so quickly I might have been able to give you first hand advice.

Jason

Guest ex-SkyGeek

Had a chance to look for you. In a thread below called "Question for Dagger re: Air Canada shares" he said this:

"Simple answer: Usually in CCAA, the shareholders get wiped. Often, the creditors are given shares in a "Newco" structure in exchange for converting debt. Sometimes, new equity is raised that floods the market with stock so that the existing shares are reduced to penny status. That should be familiar to CAI employees.

You will see speculators play the stock, but they are going in and out on day-trading basis."

fyi,

Jason

Guest flyersclub

cdn shares went for $2/share in ac purchase. they had been almost penny stock before that though so at least we got something. strangely many many employee stock options were never exercised ... isn't $2 better than zero?

Guest Retyred

I think you may be making a flawed comparison here.

In the struggle with Onex, Air canada ended up making a formal take over offer for Canadian @ $2.00 per share!

Canadian was not in CCAA at the time and the $2.00 represented a takeover offer.

Air Canada is in CCAA..most improbable that anyone would step forward to purchase their shares under the circumstances.

Dagger's advice is spot on! Anyone who chooses to hold the shares from this point on should be aware that they risk seeing the price progressively erode as they work their way towards the Plan of Arrangement. Review any historical precedent re: CCAA and see what generally happens to the common shares...usually 'cancelled without compensation'.

Archived