Pilot Applicants at Ryanair

Powermatic

It is not hard to tell there is a worldwide pilot surplus, as illustrated clearly in Canada by the Jetsgo "buy-a-job" program.

It looks as though Ryanair is going with the lower-cost, higher volume approach to milking the ranks of prospective new hires.

A quote from their web application:

"Each application costs 50 Pounds UK (charged to Credit Card) and if application successful, each applicant charged an additional 150 Pounds UK for the B737 Sim Assessment."

Guest ex-SkyGeek

Powermatic,

FYI: The recruit testing fee charged by the police service I work for is $100.00 (non-refundable). As a result of provincial legislation effective January 1, 1997, the Ontario Police College basic constable training course fee is $5000.00 payable by the new recruit upon registration with the college.

I just mention this to give you an outside perspective on the paying fees to apply for a highly sought after, competative professional career--outside of aviation. Applicant fees are standard in policing as well.

Jason

Guest ywg396

Yeah, but does the province still subsidize flying at Sault, Seneca and Confederation.

How much is tuition these days?

Yes the flying is heavily subsidized and the tuition is a joke! The government can afford to cut back on health care but just make sure the college’s get their new airplanes...talk about having your priorities screwed up! How about doing it the other way around, subsidized the ground courses and let the student pay for the flying like the UWO! Yes as you can tell this subject burns me up when every time we turn around the government are raping our paychecks to pay for more tax dollars! If you want to fly that badly do it the old fashion way…work for it!

Yes the flying is heavily subsidized and the tuition is a joke! The government can afford to cut back on health care but just make sure the college’s get their new airplanes,talk about having your priorities screwed up! How about doing it the other way around, subsidized the ground courses and let the student pay for the flying like the UWO! Yes as you can tell this subject burns me up when every time we turn around the government are raping our paychecks for more tax dollars! If you want to fly that badly do it the old fashion way,work for it!

Both are examples of the current trend of either paying to be considered, or paying to be trained for the position in question.

It is very sad that the days of hiring the best candidate are long gone.

When I was searching for work early on in my career, it was unheard of to pay a fee of any sort to a prospective emloyer. Alaska Airlines was one of the first that I remember to charge a fee to accept your resume. That was 1982 or so.

Both are examples of the current trend of either paying to be considered, or paying to be trained for the position in question.

It is very sad that the days of hiring the best candidate are long gone.

When I was searching for work early on in my career, it was unheard of to pay a fee of any sort to a prospective employer. Alaska Airlines was one of the first that I remember to charge a $25 fee to accept your resume. That was 1982 or so.

Yes the flying is heavily subsidized at the colleges you mentioned and the tuition is very, very low in relation to the actual costs.

Guest ex-SkyGeek

Shame, I agree. On the other hand, at least the best of the best can still be chosen amongst those who are driven enough and who are able to afford the application and training process.

That's not the point, I understand what you are saying.

We're getting older and the world around us is constantly changing...

There are three choices. You either have to try and doing something about it, go with the flow, or give up entirely on your desires to do what you know in your bones will make you happy. It's hard to adjust sometimes.

Archived