Dealing with Revenue Canada

Guest yxsops

Guest yxsops

I am seeking the list members advice. Several years ago, I found myself underemployed and quite frustrated with aviation in Canada. I applied to HRDC for assistance to upgrade my qualifications. After six weeks, I was finally told by them that there was no money in the budget for my type of course. I decided to borrow $11,000 to upgrade my license with the hope of gaining employment overseas. I obtained an American ATPL with a 737-300 type rating in the hopes of securing employment on an EFIS equipped aircraft. On my return to Canada, I applied to and was granted a -300 type rating by Transport Canada based on my schooling in the states. I then submitted my tax return for the educational expense. To make a long story short, I have been hired two years later at WJ, and I believe that my additional credentials made me more employable at WJ. Now here is the rub. Two years ago, on the week before Christmas (can you imagine visions of the Grinch), Revenue Canada disavowed my expense claim, because HRDC did not recognize the school that I attended. I tried to explain that Transport Canada had recognized the accreditation, but it did not matter. I should have attended a Canadian school. I explained, that at the time, no such course was offered in Canada (for the -300) This was to no avail. I had to pay $2000 in back taxes to stop the accrued interest. My financial advisor has spoken to Revenue Canada on numerous occasions but has always been told, "So Sad, too bad". Do the list members have any other suggestions or advice- other than just forgetting about it as R.C. would have me do?

Archived