Not That You Were Asking, But...

Guest neo

While there are fewer dividing lines between employee groups and management at a LowCost airline, there are some positions which are unique. None more so than that of the top guy.

The successful LowCost boss is a unusual leader. It's not necessary that this person be a supremely skilled airline executive. But it is necessary that this person be affable and open. He or she must be able to inspire both loyalty and enthusiasm in the workplace. They must be credible in the eyes of the employees, refuse to concentrate operational management in their own hands, and demonstrate trust of the employees in return.

How important is it to get the right person for this job? I'll give you an example. A few years ago WestJet hired someone to be the new boss. This individual had all the right stuff: he's probably forgotten more about running an airline than you or I will ever know. Yet a short while later, he parted ways with WestJet who then paid him, to the best of my recollection, over a million dollars for his early departure. This from a company that counts every penny twice.

LowCost's trive by empowering employees, and then getting the hell out of their way to the maximum extent possible. Top-down management is anathema. Management is there to provide the goalposts, parameters, and motivation. Employees get the job done the best way possible because they're the ones that know each individual job best. Creativity is fostered, not stifled.

Best wishes,

neo

Archived