Why there is no Winglets on B777?

Guest MAX

Guest ex-SkyGeek

A quick search on Yahoo! revealed:

"...the Boeing 777 is the first aircraft to be completely designed by computer. Therefore, the current wing design is the most efficient one in terms of fuel saving."

With the age of the internet, we really don't have to wonder about much anymore! *grin*

Reduction of induced drag during takeoff and landing is less than the increase in paracite drag for the long range it usually flies.

Good luck with CX. You'll love it!

Guest curious

I think the newer -300ELR/LR versions have the raked wingtips a'la 767-400 which as I understand it are the best of both worlds interms of improving efficiency for long hauls...also help to make those tight corners at some airports...

Guest daveysamesox

There is a performance advantage on the 737-700, WJ is taking delivery of its first 700 with winglets this month.

Guest Jason Kendal

As to why not initially designed...???.... Perhaps they thought the wing was already efficient enough, or it wasn't an engineering priority in 1988, or the Landing gear engineers appropriated all the left over design money. Maybe the Nasa engineers had other design ideas or it wasn't initially spec-ed.

From the Source: Boeing

... Raked 6.5-foot wingtips are being added to the 777-200LR and 777-300ER to improve the overall aerodynamic efficiency of the wing. The raked wingtip helps reduce takeoff field length, increase climb performance and reduce fuel burn.

Nice jet regrdless.

Nasa design team at Langley:
http://www.sti.nasa.gov/tto/spinoff1997/t1.html

Guest shibui

"Nice" jet?

I think the A320 is probably a "nice" jet, but the 777 is qualitatively removed from such qualifiers and is perfection in metal. It is a rare, rare privelege to be at the pointy end of something so manifestly fine.

I have to stop now because I am weeping with gratitude.

Archived