On Leadership

Guest MikePapaKilo

Guest MikePapaKilo

Here's a little something my son passed to me from Kingston yesterday. In many contexts Milton would suit the bill, as General Colin Powell offers his views on Leadership. You don't have to like a guy to follow him into a difficult situation.

Interestingly, any number of the complaints found below about the man can be found and somewhat rationalized within this presentation.

Whatever your feelings about RM, I hope you find this a good read.

Cheers !

MPK

Guest Airmail

MPK:

I have to agree with you. The presentation made me think of Milton and his resolve to simply push ahead and do the right thing.

Love him or hate him, Milton's always said it like it is which is much better than some pablum spewing, feel good b.s.-er whose objective is to win some popularity contest.

At times like these, I'd rather have a leader with a vision, passion and conviction than someone who will buckle under pressure and do whatever it takes just make sure a deal gets done (regardless of the long term implications).

Thanks for the post.

Guest Jason Kendal

Here is a simplified version of Leadership.

I am sure we would all be better leaders (Pilots, Union Leaders, Managers or Politicians for that matter) if we held ourselves to the following.

Leadership Principles and Traits - USMC

Leadership Principles
· Know yourself and seek self-improvement.
· Be technically proficient.
· Develop a sense of responsibility among your subordinates.
· Make sound and timely decisions.
· Set the example.
· Know your crew and look out for their welfare.
· Keep your crew informed.
· Seek responsibility and take responsibility for your actions.
· Ensure assigned tasks are understood, supervised, and accomplished.
· Train your crew as a team.
· Employ your command in accordance with its capabilities.

Leadership Traits
· Dependability
The certainty of proper performance of duty.
· Bearing
Creating a favorable impression in carriage, appearence and personal conduct at all times.
· Courage
The mental quality that recognizes fear of danger or criticism, but enables a man to proceed in the face of it with calmness and firmness.
· Decisiveness
Ability to make decisions promptly and to announce them in clear, forceful manner.
· Endurance
The mental and physical stamina measured by the ability to withstand pain, fatigue, stress and hardship.
· Enthusiasm
The display of sincere interest and exuberance in the performance of duty.
· Initiative
Taking action in the absence of orders.
· Integrity
Uprightness of character and soundness of moral principles; includes the qualities of truthfulness and honesty.
· Judgement
The ability to weigh facts and possible solutions on which to base sound decisions.
· Justice
Giving reward and punishment according to merits of the case in question. The ability to administer a system of rewards and punishments impartially and consistently.
· Knowledge
Understanding of a science or an art. The range of one's information, including professional knowledge and an understanding of your Marines.
· Tact
The ability to deal with others without creating offense.
· Unselfishness
Avoidance of providing for one's own comfort and personal advancement at the expense of others.
· Loyalty
The quality of faithfulness to country, the Corps, the unit, to one's seniors, subordinates and peers.

Pardon the Editorial - but I’m on my soapbox.

Now take R. Milton, Tony Blair, G.W. Bush, the PM of Canada JC, Transport Minister Collenet, C. Beddoe, Buzz Hargrove, ACPA/ ALPA / CUPE MEC chairperson... or oneself, and score them with these Principals and traits.

Who comes up lacking? It would appear that self-interest; greed, fear of failure, mistrust of other team (company) members constantly gets in the way of success. Inside the Third Reich by Albert Spear, comes to mind.

We all have had our expectations put to the test- Is there a fundamental flaw in the Canadian Values as to how we never seem to rally around strong leadership or is it we just don’t trust strong (competent) leaders? We seem to become smug and snipe:
Regional vs. Main line, AC vs. WJ,
East vs. West,
Liberal MP Carolyn Parish vs “Americans … I hate the &%$@!s”,
Or Airline Web site regular poster “V1” - calling an out of work C3 pilot “a dumbkuff” and saying that “EI was the best thing to happen to him”…true story.. Grace under fire …hmm.

Or Collenet's Ego vs Milton's Ego

Also Colin Powell’s slide show sure sounds an awful lot like the West Jet approach. (I don't work there but I do live in Calgary, and they were always very helpful to me commuting YYC -YVR)

Powell's Lesson # 10 on Ego and Position - sink in when you go down to file for EI.

Tony Blair and George W Bush have shown tremendous Courage. My heart goes out to the leaders and fighting men and women that they have sent out into Battle in Iraq to carry out there decisions.

Archived