working in UAE

Guest acj

Could someone clear up the different reports I have had from various sources regarding pilot employment in the UAE. I've head as good (utopic) as working for one of the larger airlines and living for almost FREE in a beautiful compound making big cash and having to work half a month. I've also heard living conditions are surprizingly good and the adaptation for a canadian family is quite easy.

Any 1/2nd hand reports?

It's very very nice - much better than N/A in general. Maybe that's why you won't see any explicit replies here. ;-)

The living is good - after she is settled. No one is happy till Momma is happy. Takes 6 to 12 months.
Not everyone in a compound, most in villas around the city (DXB),and all the bills are paid, no out of pocket.
Biggest pain in ..., is trying to get kids into a school! Next would be driving and dealing with certain other expat non pilot group.
Good side is 1.5 years to left seat for a few guys with previous left seat trime, rumoured pay bonus this year = 4-8 weeks.

Now Qatar is different deal, not sure of all the benefits there. More $ to start for sure.

Guest Nigol

My wife is a bit concerned about how the local people treat women from abroad. She is also worried that she will have a non-active lifestyle, as she is one who can't sit still.

Like 777 says 'no one is happy until Momma is happy'.

Guest Ray Darr

Hi Nigol.

We had the same concerns before we moved over to the sandbox, but Bahrain and Dubai and the two more tolerant places for westerners. Abu Dhabi also. The way one is accepted elsewhere in the region starts to drop off...but rest assured, both Bahrain and Dubai are very easy for the wife. She can wear (almost) anything that they wear at home. Just play it smart and do the usual leaning-to-conservative (especially during Ramadan) and she will be totally fine.

In Bahrain only about 30% of the women are wearing traditional (head to toe) clothes, and in Dubai it drops to maybe 10%, if that.

These are very cosmopolitan places to live and you both will enjoy it. Just remember it is their playground and their rules, but they're quite tolerant to us "western" types!

See you on the freq's!
~R.D.

Archived