Not happy with Tourists

Malcolm

‘Go f*cking home’: The European cities where locals are fighting back against overtourism

Picturesque but troubled: A view of Malaga's centre

Copyright  Yuliya Matuzava via Unsplash
Published on 15/03/2024 - 15:29Updated 18/03/2024 - 10:09
Share this articleComments

Millions of holidaymakers visit the Costa de Sol and Málaga, one of its most popular destinations, every year, but now locals are saying enough is enough.

Málaga locals are frustrated by the growing influx of tourists and now they’re expressing their feelings in no uncertain terms.

The Spanish city’s centre has been hit with a wave of stickers, posted on walls and doors, telling visitors what residents think of them.

Walk the streets of Málaga and you’ll see these daubs, ranging from the fairly mild “this used to be my home” (antes esta era mi casa) and “this used to be the city centre” (antes esto era el centro) all the way to “go f*cking home” (a tu puta casa), “stinking of tourist” (apestando a turista).

Malaga is becoming ever more popular thanks to recent business investments and the pleasant climate Malaga is becoming ever more popular thanks to recent business investments and the pleasant climateJonas Denil via Unsplash

Why are Málaga locals so irate with tourists?

The city on the Costa del Sol has long been a popular destination for visitors, thanks to its sunny climate and relatively low cost of living. However, it’s recently become an even more desirable destination for holidaymakers and digital nomads alike.

Many locals have simply had enough. Bar owner Dani Drunko runs a much-frequented bar in Málaga called Drunkorama. He started the ‘sticker initiative’, having favourite anti-tourist phrases given to him by bar regulars printed and posted around the city.

Speaking to a local newspaper Diario Sur, Drunko explained that he began the campaign after he was apparently “kicked out” of the home he’d lived in for a decade.

He claimed that the landlord refused to negotiate the rent or even sell him the property. The reason? They wanted to turn it into a short-term rental for tourists.

“There’s a lot of hype because locals are tired of the situation; I just suggested the idea of the catchphrases, I offered the spark, and now others have joined,” Drunko told Diario Sur.

“Málaga city centre has been going downhill for a long time, so much so that if for example something in my bar breaks, I don't have a hardware store on hand to buy anything, since the tourist who comes doesn’t need to buy screws,” he added.

Local politician Dani Pérez took to X - formerly Twitter - to add his voice to the growing discontentment.

“You walk the streets of Málaga and it is practically impossible to find a residential building that does not have a lockbox [for tourist rentals],” he wrote, going on to accuse the city’s mayor, Paco de la Torre, of “not lifting a finger for the people of Malaga” and “expelling them from the city where they were born.”

Last November, a local reporter for news website The Local Spain reported that Málaga is “definitely busier than before during low season,” while confirming the existence of lockboxes “everywhere” and commenting that restaurant prices have seen huge hikes in recent months.

What makes Málaga so popular with foreign visitors?

Spain’s Costa del Sol, home to Málaga, has been hugely popular with tourists for years. In 2023, a record 14 million holidaymakers from Spain and abroad visited - and a fair few visitors decided to make the city their home.

Recent data from Spain’s National Statistics Institute (INE) shows that eight out of 10 new residents moving to Málaga are currently foreigners.

It’s not just individuals changing the face of the city, though. Some 630 tech companies, including Google, have opened offices in Málaga, turning it into a quasi-Silicon Valley of Europe.

That has the knock on effect of drawing thousands of international remote workers and digital nomads, attracted by the heady combination of a pleasant work environment and warm climate.

Málaga locals, though, think enough is enough, believing they are being priced out and alienated from their own home city.

Which other European destinations have fought back against overtourism?

Earlier in March, the Canary Islands - a territory of Spain - saw graffiti pop up ordering tourists to “go home”.

With its year-round sun and warm weather, the Canaries are an always-popular destination for foreign visitors - and tourism is seen as the island group’s largest money maker.

One of the most popular islands, Tenerife, recently declared a water emergency. That added more fuel to the fire for locals, as some tourist areas there use up to six times more water than residential areas, putting pressure on reserves crucial for drinking water and farming.

In February, nearby Gran Canaria saw walls emblazoned with the message, 'tourists and digital nomads go home', something newspaper the Canarian Weekly reported as 'tourismphobia'.

On the Balearic island Mallorca last August, residents put up fake signs along a number of beaches, reading: “beware of dangerous jellyfish” and “caution, falling rocks”.

All written in English, the signs also featured, in smaller print, explanations in Catalan informing locals that warnings are not real. Instead, the text read: “the problem isn’t a rockfall, it’s mass tourism” and “beach open except for foreigners (guiris) and jellyfish”.

Overtourism isn’t just a problem in Spanish territories, though.

Many European nations have been putting tourist taxes in place, including Venice which has also banned cruise ships from entering its endangered canal system.

In Amsterdam, authorities and locals alike have been trying for months to encourage - mostly British - drunken tourists to stay away and in Kyoto, Japan, roads have been sealed off to ensure the city doesn't become a ‘theme park’.

Other top tourist destinations are begging people not to visit, with many simply not having the infrastructure to accommodate them.

Hawaii is on many people’s bucket lists, but continues to struggle with hospitality worker shortages, congested roads and 90-minute restaurant waiting times as tourists still arrive in droves.

While the problem does appear to be a global one, it is Spain that is leading the grassroots fight back.

Graffiti in Barcelona last year read: “We spit in your beer. Cheers!” - yet tourists continue to flock there. 

Euronews Travel reached out to the Málaga tourist board for comment but have yet to receive a response.

TRAVEL
I'm a native Hawaiian. Locals are tired of tourists treating the island like a theme park – here's what to know before you visit.
Pooja Shah Nov 9, 2023, 3:44 AM MST

Keani Rawlins-Fernandez grew up in Hawaii and has seen tourism increase over the years.
Now a local council member, Rawlins-Fernandez says locals can f

This as-told-to essay is based on a conversation with Keani Rawlins-Fernandez, a vice chair of the Maui County Council, about how tourism has affected her life in Hawaii. The following has been edited for length and clarity.

The tropical islands of Hawaii have long been a dream destination for tourists, drawn by the pristine beaches, vibrant culture, and an "aloha" free spirit. But for me it's home.

Many economic, social, and financial issues arise with unrestricted tourism, and I don't know how Hawaii will continue to cope with these numbers.

I grew up in Molokai, the only island of Hawaii where the economy is not reliant on tourism. Here, agriculture and farming are our main industries.

As a policymaker, I use my platform to fight against unrestricted tourism, counteract our current housing crisis, and campaign to protect our ocean and reef health.

It's my responsibility to advocate for my local community
When I was growing up, big corporations fell in love with the white-sand beaches, canoes, and divers and transformed our land into a shoreline of resorts like Waikiki in Oahu. They attempted to do this in Molokai, but the community fought it.

I went to law school to become a policymaker because it was my kuleana — responsibility — to advocate for my community the same way my elders did.

I was inspired by the work of Uncle Walter Ritte, a Native Hawaiian activist and educator who protested the military bombing practices on Kaho'olawe and won its eventual return to Native Hawaiian control from the US military.

I hold the County Council seat for the Molokai residency area and am part of the Efficiency Solutions and Circular Systems Committee, where I can discuss high-level budgets and allocation of resources to solve economic inequality that has been around for generations.

Keani Rawlins Fernandez, Maui County Council Vice-Chair
Rawlins-Fernandez is a vice chair of the Maui County Council. Keani Rawlins-Fernandez
Tourism has displaced Native Hawaiians by driving up costs
The number of tourists in Hawaii is overwhelming the local population and threatening the islands' cultural heritage.

Native Hawaiians, already displaced from their lands during colonization, are experiencing a housing crisis. When houses become available, they are bought by tourists instead of locals.

I lived in Bali for 2 months. These 7 popular tourist spots were not worth the hype.

People are buying our land as investment properties, so our Kanaka 'Ōiwi — locals — are forced to move further out, and they can't maintain their local traditions or routines. Basically, they need to start over and make a new place their home.

The cost of living has skyrocketed as demand drives up real-estate prices. Residents of islands like Maui and Oahu, where tourism is at peak levels, rely on resorts and hotels for jobs to support their livelihood.

During COVID, there was no tourism, and their jobs were the first to go. My island in Molokai fared better because the model is to cater to local businesses and local patrons instead.

We can't commute easily because tourists are getting their sunset pictures
A large part of Hawaii's economy is reliant on tourism, but in popular tourist areas, overtourism is placing huge strains on the infrastructure and environment — especially when the number of visitors exceeds the resident population.

For example, famous sights like Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head on Oahu draw crowds of tourists for sunrise or sunset views. This clogs up our highways during the hours when locals are trying to commute or drop their kids off at school.

The state Department of Transportation wants to create more parking spots or widen highways. Instead, people should consider group trolley systems like the ones in Zion National Park in Utah, which I recently visited, to manage tourists. This makes more sense than allowing tourists to rent their own car for the duration of their visit.

Locals feel like their home is a theme park — and it can be dangerous
Our locals feel like their homes are treated like a theme park and there's no more privacy.

We've heard stories of tourists trespassing on properties for photo opportunities. But they need to understand that unlike television or social-media posts, this is real life.

There aren't always safeguards and railings at places like our waterfalls or volcanoes. Tourists have passed away or become severely hurt. It puts our emergency responders at risk if tourists are trespassing in dangerous places.

Advertisement

Our beaches and reefs are being degraded for the sake of tourism
Excessive tourist activity is also taking a major toll on Hawaii's fragile island ecosystems.

For instance, the natural sand dunes in Hawaii enable a cyclical restoration of the white-sand beaches. However, the construction of resorts and hotel chains on the dunes disrupts this cycle, preventing the beaches from replenishing lost sand. With the dunes unable to supply fresh sand, the beaches steadily erode away.

I've seen temporary seawalls being built in front of condos and resorts which interrupt the natural cycle of sand migration. We see how degraded our coral reefs, essential for marine wildlife, are in the face of pollution, sunscreen toxins, and careless snorkelers.

We are islands, and we don't have that much land to bury trash in landfills, so excessive rubbish ends up in our waters and damages the ecosystem.

Advertisement

Tourism has perks, but it needs to be managed better
There are some positives to the steady increase in tourists, like those tourists who volunteer with the Red Cross. However, extractive tourism needs to stop. I also want our community to rely on other jobs, because tourism ebbs and flows.

My message to tourists is to visit responsibly, respect local culture, and minimize one's footprint. Support local businesses over chain restaurants, go on tours instead of taking your own or a rented vehicle, make sure you're staying at a legitimate Airbnb or VRBO, and come with respect and gratitude, not entitlement.

Step by step: Will anti-foreign sentiment impact Phuket’s tourism?

Phuket, the ‘Monaco of the east’, shines with its beautiful beaches, hedonistic nightlife and a culture renowned for its welcoming smiles. However, a recent surge in anti-foreign sentiment fueled by incidents like the Urs Fehr controversy and tensions with Russian tourists, raises a critical question: could this lead to a rise in nationalism and populism, and have a deep impact on Phuket’s tourism industry, the lifeblood of the island’s economy?

opinion
By The Phuket News

Sunday 17 March 2024 10:00 AM

Local residents hold aloft the Thai flag at a protest at Yamu Beach earlier this month. Photo: The Phuket News

Local residents hold aloft the Thai flag at a protest at Yamu Beach earlier this month. Photo: The Phuket News

Nationalism and Populism: A Recipe for Division

Nationalism and populism, though often intertwined, have distinct characteristics. Nationalism emphasises a strong sense of national identity, often tied to common ancestry, language and culture. It can manifest in a desire for national unity and a sense of superiority over other cultures. Populism, on the other hand, positions itself as the voice of the "common people", often against a perceived elite or establishment. This is often achieved by scapegoating minority groups, including foreigners, for social and economic problems.

Nationalist and populist rhetoric frequently plays upon anxieties about national decline and economic hardship. In Thailand, it is more about inequity. Foreigners become convenient targets, blamed for stealing jobs, suppressing wages and diluting cultural values. This can lead to policies affecting immigration, limiting foreign ownership of businesses and stoking social division.

Thailand’s Whispering History

While Thailand prides itself on its warm hospitality and reputation as the ‘Land of Smiles’, its history reveals a less rosy past regarding nationalism. In his book ‘Siam Mapped’ Thongchai Winichakul spends the first chapter discussing the Thai obsession with what is Thainess, the starkest conclusion is that most experts cannot define what Thainess is but only what it is not, by simply listing characteristics of other nations’ failings and how they are the opposite of ‘Thainess’. 

Early last century, the ‘Asia for the Asians’ sentiment, a reaction to Western imperialism, underscored the desire for self-determination and national pride. However, this also fueled anxieties regarding Chinese immigration, leading to policies that restricted their economic and social mobility. These historical currents highlight the potential for nationalism to resurface in Thailand, particularly during times of economic uncertainty and perceived threats to national identity.

Exacerbating tensions in Phuket

It’s not only recent news stories that have led to rising tensions. Several factors could also be in play exacerbating anti-foreign sentiment in Phuket. 

NEW ARRIVALS: The recent surge of Russian arrivals fleeing the war in Ukraine presents both opportunities and challenges. While their presence can potentially inject new capital and diversify the tourist base, their cultural differences and potential language barriers may create a sense of alienation if not managed effectively. Integrating these newcomers into the local community is proving difficult. Stern demeanors and scant bikinis in areas not on the beach are often read as rude and disrespectful.

ECONOMIC ANXIETY: The scars left by the COVID-19 pandemic still run deep. The tourism industry, which heavily relies on foreign visitors, suffered immensely. Whilst tourism is recovering well, the economic hardship of the period plus the global cost of living crisis has left people poorer than ever before. Wages have risen but are far below real-life inflation. This leaves them susceptible to influences that play into the hands of any wannabee populist.

THE BURMESE CONUNDRUM: Burmese migrants, a significant part of Phuket’s workforce, are often accused of accepting lower wages, putting downward pressure on salaries for Thai workers. While their work ethic can be seen as an asset, it also highlights the skills gap and lack of training opportunities for some Thais. Unless these issues are addressed and locals are pushed into learning skills, it’s hard to see how resentment won’t grow. 

Nationalism, a potential enemy of Phuket’s tourism success

The consequences of a nationalist turn in Thailand would be particularly devastating for Phuket. Tourism, the island’s economic engine, thrives on its reputation as a welcoming and inclusive destination. Anti-foreign sentiment, coupled with policies restricting foreign investment which Thailand is already well known for, could scare away visitors. This would lead to a decline in hotel occupancy rates, restaurant closures, and a crippling loss of revenue for local businesses. The ripple effect would be devastating, impacting livelihoods across various sectors. For an island that lacks a plan B, the implications could be devastating.

Phuket wouldn’t be alone in facing such consequences. Countries such as Greece and Hungary, which have seen a rise in nationalist populism, have also witnessed a decline in tourism, demonstrating the economic perils of xenophobia.

A Brighter Future: Fostering Harmony

The future of Phuket, and Thailand as a whole, hinges on today’s choices. Will the country succumb to the siren song of nationalism, or will it embrace its multicultural identity and chart a course of inclusivity? The answer will determine whether Phuket remains a paradise or withers on the vine of resentment. The smiles of Thailand are not just a facade; they are a symbol of the country’s welcoming spirit. By fostering understanding and embracing diversity, Thailand can ensure those smiles continue to light the way for a brighter future.

Simon Causton is a long-time Phuket resident, founder of Citadel Phuket and author of ‘The Phuket Periodical’ newsletter. X (Twitter): @SimonCauston

[14/24]

Protest against the introduction of the registration and tourist fee to visit the city of Venice

People protest against the introduction of the registration and tourist fee to visit the city of Venice for day trippers introduced by Venice municipality in a move to preserve the lagoon city often crammed with tourists in Venice, Italy, April 25. REUTERS/Manuel Silvestri

The fee is charged for day visits between 8.30 a.m. and 4 p.m. For 2024, it's a flat 5 euros ($5.45) per person per day. For 2024, the city has exempted the fee for those traveling to most of the lagoon islands, including visitor hubs Murano and Burano, as well as the Lido, home to the city's beaches.

Venice entry fee: How to pay and what to do if you’re staying in the city? | CNN

Fullscreen button

To fend off tourists, a town in Japan is building a big screen blocking the view of Mount Fuji

To fend off tourists, a town in Japan is building a big screen blocking the view of Mount Fuji© Provided by The Canadian Press

FUJIKAWAGUCHIKO, Japan (AP) — The town of Fujikawaguchiko has had enough of tourists.

Known for a number of scenic photo spots that offer a near-perfect shot of Japan’s iconic Mount Fuji, the town on Tuesday began constructing a large black screen on a stretch of a sidewalk to block the view of the mountain. The reason: misbehaving foreign tourists.

“Kawaguchiko is a town built on tourism, and I welcome many visitors, and the town welcomes them too, but there are many things about their manners that are worrying,” said Michie Motomochi, owner of a cafe serving Japanese sweets “ohagi,” near the soon-to-be-blocked photo spot.

Motomochi mentioned littering, crossing the road with busy traffic, ignoring traffic lights, trespassing into private properties. She isn't unhappy though — 80% of her customers are foreign visitors whose numbers have surged after a pandemic hiatus that kept Japan closed for about two years.

Her neighborhood suddenly became a popular spot about two years ago, apparently after a photo taken in a particular angle showing Mount Fuji in the background, as if sitting atop a local convenience store, became a social media sensation known as “Mt. Fuji Lawson,” town officials say

The mostly foreign tourists have since crowded the small area, triggering a wave of concerns and complaints from residents about visitors blocking the narrow sidewalk, taking photos on the busy road or walking into neighbors’ properties, officials said.

In Europe, concerns over tourists overcrowding historic cities led Venice last week to launch a pilot program to charge day-trippers a 5-euro ($5.35) entry fee. Authorities hope it will discourage visitors from arriving on peak days and make the city more livable for its dwindling residents.

Fujikawaguchiko has tried other methods: signs urging visitors not to run into the road and to use the designated crosswalk in English, Chinese, Thai and Korean, and even hiring a security guard as crowd control. None worked.

The black mesh net, when completed in mid-May, will be 2.5 meters (8.2 feet) high and 20 meters (65.6 feet) long, and will almost completely block the view of Mount Fuji, officials said.

Dozens of tourists gathered Tuesday taking photos even though Mount Fuji was not in sight due to cloudy weather.

Anthony Hok, from France, thought the screen was an overreaction. “Too big solution for subject not as big, even if tourists are making trouble. Doesn't look right to me," he said. The 26-year-old suggested setting up road barriers for safety instead of blocking views for pictures.

But Helen Pull, a 34-year-old visitor from the U.K., was sympathetic to the local concern. While traveling in Japan in the past few weeks, she has seen tourism “really ramped up here in Japan from what we've seen."

“I can see why people who live and work here might want to do something about that," she said, noting many were taking pictures even when the mountain was not in the view. "That's the power of the social media.”

Foreign visitors have flocked to Japan since the pandemic border restrictions were lifted, in part due to the weaker yen.

Last year, Japan had more than 25 million visitors, and the number this year is expected to surpass nearly 32 million, a record from 2019, according to the Japan National Tourism Organization. And the government wants more tourists.

While the booming tourism has helped the industry, it has triggered complaints from residents in popular tourist destinations, such as Kyoto and Kamakura. In Kyoto, a famous geisha district recently decided to close some private-property alleys.

Locals are uncertain about what to do.

Motomochi said she cannot imagine how the black screen can help control the flow of people on the narrow pedestrian walk and the road next to it.

Yoshihiko Ogawa, who runs a more than half-century-old rice shop in the Fujikawaguchiko area, said the overcrowding worsened in the past few months, with tourists gathering from around 4-5 a.m. and talking loudly. He sometimes struggles to get his car in and out of garage.

“We’ve never thought we'd face a situation like this,” Ogawa said, adding he is unsure what the solution might be. “I suppose we all just need to get use to it.”